Spooling a Baitcasting Reel

Lakeshore

I know that this might sound like a dumb questions, but will Petes Tackle or Grimsby Tackle spool up a baitcasting reel??

I have had spinning reels done, but all you have to do is take the spool. I am assuming that it is a little bit more of an effort to spool up a baitcasting reel up.

Guest TC1OZ
I know that this might sound like a dumb questions, but will Petes Tackle or Grimsby Tackle spool up a baitcasting reel??

I have had spinning reels done, but all you have to do is take the spool. I am assuming that it is a little bit more of an effort to spool up a baitcasting reel up.

If Pete's is close, go there.

The guys are very friendly and helpful....

Even if you didn't know how to get your reel off your rod, they would help you out.

Guest TC1OZ
Thanks, I'll go to Petes next week. I am a real newbie when it comes to Baitcasting gear. I just bought the reel last week.

I still need to go and get a rod as well.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got my eye on one, just not sure if I really need to buy it lol. I do everything on my spinning reel so far.

I just received a used down rigger (as a gift) so I need to buy a rod for that, pretty excited to try it out on Georgian Bay this summer.

And at the "fish-in" at Desjardin I'm going to be checking out one of those long float rods for getting the big carp :D.

Good luck man, I'm going to stop in a Pete's before I hit-up martindale on Tuesday.

Guest TC1OZ
tie line on spool crank line onto spool finished

Some people like to watch someone else do it first, I don't blame the man. Especially if he wants to put some nice line on it.

Guest TC1OZ
That was my thought too. We're not talking rocket science, unless I am totally missing something. :D

You are not missing anything.

He's a novice and wants help from someone at a store.

I'm just looking for some advice from someone who has done it before, preferably someone who has done this dozens of times.

The concept of tying and and spooling are not foreign. Just never attempted by me on a baitcaster.

Rather do it right the first time, than find out later I missed something simple.

Thanks for understanding TC1OZ.

Guest TC1OZ
I'm just looking for some advice from someone who has done it before, preferably someone who has done this dozens of times.

The concept of tying and and spooling are not foreign. Just never attempted by me on a baitcaster.

Rather do it right the first time, than find out later I missed something simple.

Thanks for understanding TC1OZ.

Exactly my theory!

http://activeangler.com/articles/how-to/ar...knots/arbor.asp

The arbor knot has always worked for me when attaching my own line, but there are many that work great!

Ask the guys at the store and they'll definitely make you feel comfortable for the next time.

Or just get them to do it, they have a machine setup and they can do it much quicker. (its free anyways)

I mean... Clearly we can bag our own groceries, but when the lady at Sobey's is going to do it why not...

Guest UglyFish

pretty much any tackle store will spool a reel for u.

its easy to do urself. u just need to keep the line tight as u reel it on to the spool.

if ur using braid, put a little mono on the reel as backing, then tie the braid to the mono and continue filling the reel, if its a whiffled spool, has the holes drilled into it, u can tie the braid or mono strait to that, and this will prevent line slippage. but the mono backing will save u some money on braid.

I was at both Pete's Tackle in St. Catharines and Grimsby's Tackle. They each have a sale on fishing line from their bulk spools that you just cannot beat by buying your own spools of fishing line to start fresh for spring. I did notice a sign that asks you to please have the old line removed from your reel before you come in. You are halfway there already, your reel is fresh with no line on it, :worthy: .

Good Luck, Rob!

I would opt for full spool of braid (if that's what you're using)....small knot and piece of tape.......That way when you front starts getting worn and freyed you can reverse it on to another reel and have fresh braid that was buried on spool and never touched...get 2 uses out of one spool of braid....Ole Indian trick....lol....Been doing it for years and it works great!!!

Good Luck

Doodle

Before you spool braid on your reel put about 25 yards or so of mono line, this is used as a backing to stop the braid from cutting into the lower part of your line. Learn how to tie the right knot from mono to braid and you will not have a problem. This also is done because you don't need to have a full spool of braid, you will never have 200 yards of line out unless you are trolling and it cost to much $$$$$$. Any other ??????? just ask and I will try to help. Catfish

Archived