Crystal beach perch!

tilbrook

hey guys, heading to lake erie tomorrow for some perch. was out on the lake sunday but didn't get a single hit (went out of sugarloaf tried a bunch of different depths).

just wondering if anyone can tell me about the launch at crystal beach? directions, conditions of the launch (have a 16ft boat), public/private?

also, what kind of presentation is working out there? we tried worms on pickerel rigs sunday but obviously that didn't work for us, haha...

cheers!

If your sonar has ZOOM USE IT :D Start lookinh in 50-65 fow find your own fish and have fun. Just because boats are around doesn't mean the fish are :blush: Minnows on or near bottom work best and the biggest tip is

the bite is very light :Gonefishing:

good luck

Hi Tilly. I haven`t been there this year but I fished in the fall and did very well. I`m thinking launch your boat at crystal beach heading to the right to pt. albino looking for the bunch of boats .

I would use a bell sinker on bottom with a hook 6inches above and add another hook 6inches above the first hook.

good luck . let us know how you made out. Weedliner.

Yeah that's what I figured, keep it simple and look for the fish (still trying to figure out the sonar)...

but how is the launch at crystal beach? good to go right now? and denis, do you have a 24hr bait shack that we can go to at 5am? it'd be great to be able to buy minnows that early in the morning!

I only sell minnow nets no minnows right now. You can try dominion bait it's self serve and located between ridgeway and fort erie on dominion rd. The ramp is perfect and there is already one dock in :dunno:

just got back from the lake with mixed results. launched at sugarloaf because it was familiar to us (thanks for the info about the crystal beach ramp!) and went straight to point abino, about 63ft of water.

we used pickerel rigs (two hooks about 12" apart) and minnows right off the bottom. due to our inexperience we had a tough time finding fish in the beginning. however after zooming in with the sonar to between 65' and 55' we noticed dark 'pylon' shaped objects that we assumed were small schools of perch....maybe bait fish/smelts or something? had a tough time staying on top of them though, any tips for that?

at the end of the day we managed 8 keepers and lots of questions...

Hello All, New to the board and making my first reply. You can check out my introduction and first report at http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...showtopic=19440

I was out with tilly on this trip. One of the big questions that I had was about perch behavior. When I think that I see perch on the electronics (and being new to the fish finder I am still not always sure what I am looking at) are the fish moving in schools quite quickly or do the tend to hang around in an area for a time allowing you to get right over them? I realize that in the presence of a predator that the are likely moving quite quickly to get out of the way, however, once I went past a suspected school when I try to back the boat back over then they never seemed to be there. I suppose being a predator myself I should expect them to get out of there though.

If you can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

TheAler

i'm kinda new on the perch chasing, as i am calling it. I haven't had my own boat until last spring, so this is my first spring out on the water. I haven't figured out the fish finder deal much. but have noticed a few things. the perch are in small schools, and move around lots, and with the weather. alot of boats follow each other. i was out Wednesday, with the east wind, lot's of the boats were moving around alot looking for the schools, I would of followed, but the old Johnson was acting up again.

Keep on trying, cause them perch will come in soon and bite hard.

You will find the perch fishing a little hard now as the perch are starting to spawn now and going to shallower water and are scattered. Last week while I was over on the NY side trying for bass I caught perch in 25 FOW and they were spawning.

Yeah that's what I figured, keep it simple and look for the fish (still trying to figure out the sonar)...

but how is the launch at crystal beach? good to go right now? and denis, do you have a 24hr bait shack that we can go to at 5am? it'd be great to be able to buy minnows that early in the morning!

The launch is nice, public, has a parking pay meter- might be installed now for the season. will handle your 16ft'er easily. Erie trackers in Port Colborne for minnows or Dominion baits between Ridgeway and Ft. Erie on Dominion rd.

55-60ft water depth--the perch are around but not that active, simple rig like everyone else has said.

Hello All, New to the board and making my first reply. You can check out my introduction and first report at http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...showtopic=19440

I was out with tilly on this trip. One of the big questions that I had was about perch behavior. When I think that I see perch on the electronics (and being new to the fish finder I am still not always sure what I am looking at) are the fish moving in schools quite quickly or do the tend to hang around in an area for a time allowing you to get right over them? I realize that in the presence of a predator that the are likely moving quite quickly to get out of the way, however, once I went past a suspected school when I try to back the boat back over then they never seemed to be there. I suppose being a predator myself I should expect them to get out of there though.

Thanks

TheAler

Use the electronics for your depth- then just fish

Thanks

TheAler

Use the electronics for your depth----then just start fishing. If perch are biting you'll be catching.

just got back from the lake with mixed results. launched at sugarloaf because it was familiar to us (thanks for the info about the crystal beach ramp!) and went straight to point abino, about 63ft of water.

we used pickerel rigs (two hooks about 12" apart) and minnows right off the bottom. due to our inexperience we had a tough time finding fish in the beginning. however after zooming in with the sonar to between 65' and 55' we noticed dark 'pylon' shaped objects that we assumed were small schools of perch....maybe bait fish/smelts or something? had a tough time staying on top of them though, any tips for that?

at the end of the day we managed 8 keepers and lots of questions...

Use the anchor!!

Archived