More carpin'

So I went carp fishing today. I baited the area, and after an hour, nothing. Then, for the next hour I got a few nudges, bumps, ticks, etc., but no takers. I have used hair rigs for years, but this was my first time using a bolt rig, so I thought I would be patient and not jump the gun on any of the little bumps. After an hour of little bumps, finally the bolt rig lived up to its name, and a carp took off like lightning. She was about 5 lbs or so. Not huge, but happy to get my first carp of the year. Feels all that much better when the bolt rig works exactly as it should, and was taken on a homemade boilie :D Glad to see my home made fish cradle/unhooking mat held up too.

gallery_3122_172_230025.jpg

First carp of the year.

gallery_3122_172_10432.jpg

Home made boilie on a hair rig.

Thanks guys! After a while I was getting concerned with no fish really taking it. In the past I have done just the opposite of using a bolt rig - using as little weight as possible (3/16th oz sliding bullet weight) and watched the arch in my line for tightening or increased slack. This resulted in quite a few misses but there was a degree of sensitivity that is lost when you have a 2 oz weight on. Needless to say I was very happy when a fish finally took :Gonefishing:

I tried for carp for about a an hour yesterday got one little tap but it was most likely a bullhead using corn on 1/2oz egg weight I think im going to tie some hair rigs up tonight I got plenty of hooks and swivels than head out again tomorrow saw plenty jumping

is that a homemade cradle that the carp is sitting in?

Yup. I don't like how conventional nets split the fish's fins, but I don't like the price of rubber meshed nets (mind you, the last time I looked was like 7 years ago), so I thought I would take a page out of the books of pike and muskie fisherman and use a fish cradle. It has worked pretty well so far. That last fish I didn't even have to touch, and it keeps them horizontal, which is always good for the fish. It's just two pieces of wood from a busted crutch, and half a tarp from the dollar store. If the tarp proves to be too crappy over time I'll probably double up the tarp the next time, or use a large rubber sheet if I come across one, like the bottom of an old air mattress or something. DIY! haha :)

Archived