How many fish go over Niagara Falls

little cleo

We all know that it's about 50/50 chance of survival for humans who go over the falls, but what about fish?

Since fish live in water, and the falls are made of water, do you think they have a better chance of survival?

What about size? Pike vs. perch? Sturgeon vs. Walleye?

Also, do they still do the Navy Island deer hunt every year?

Just wondered.

I would still think it's about 50/50 for fish too. I've seen fish die that fell out of someone's hand to the ground. hitting water from that height and that speed is like hitting concrete. I bet the smaller fish is a 100% mortality rate, which is then easy pickins for the gulls down there. if the bigger ones do make it, I bet they are stunned for a while, if they don't die. cool question though and I've often wondered about that myself, but I'm guessing that what I siad is probably somewhere along the lines of being true.

as far as I know, they still do the deer hunt, but you'de have to ask Chilli (Dan). I bet he'll know the answer to that question.

Rich

I always thought that no fish would go over the falls. They are strong enough to swim against the current unless they are sick or old then they were going to die anyway.

If one did go over I would think the smaller lighter fish might fair better than a larger fish with a bigger splash.

Thing that make you go Hmmmmmmm :)

I think your right about their swimming ability Tom..but what if they're not paying attention.

Just swimming around thinking about work or home life,maybe worrying about bills or what to buy the wife for her birthday.

Then all or a sudden ...OH $#it!!

Wait..Thats how I drive home from work eveny night.

LC regarding the Navy Island hunt, they do not do it every year. As far as I am aware the last " Controlled Hunt" with a lottery draw for all resident hunters was 11-12 years ago. Since then there has been one other hunt which was 3-4 years ago, which was not an open lottery draw. Only Ontario Native Hunters were allowed and it was archery only. If there were any other hunts they weren't well publicized. Chilli may have other info though.

I heard they still have the 6 nations there from fall through January but that is unconfirmed. I haven't read any news about deer crashing through windows on the parkway since that first hunt so I doubt it. I should ask Anne Yagi though as she is the bio who pushed for it and if your an OFAH member you can get your zone J rep to inquire about it because we don't want to disturb the hunters by going for nature walks but if we don't know they are there we can't help it now can we. I know the herd is still too thick and new deer swim to the Island every year. An annual harvest is the only answer.

Zone J rep: "tony jackson" <tjsfinsnfeathers@sympatico.ca>

Should have made this two post there LC and put one in the hunting section.

As for the fish I think there chances of surviving the falls is much better than with the hydro station. I think they are smarter than we give them credit for and they know the falls are there but we all know what spawning or mating instincts can do to fish and wildlife. It's a good question for a Bio

thanks for gettin me thinkin guys :) . i'd say theres probly a "sweet spot" around the horseshoe falls fer the fish to fall to but i'd say they ain't got no chance at the american falls with all them boulders.

quote:

Do Fish go over the Falls? and What kind of fish are found ?

The simple answer is - yes they do. They do all the time and most survive the rigorous journey. The fish is for the most part is much better built to survive the journey than most humans. Firstly, they live in water and are much lighter and more pliable. The journey over the Falls is nothing more than a going down the a big elevator for the fish. The volume of the Falls creates a cushion of air bubbles and water mixture at the base that softens the the surface of the plunge pool at the base of the Falls. For the most part the fish is always in the water whether going over the Falls or not. Their bodies are built to absorb a tremendous amount of pressure before sustaining any related injury. The plunge pool at the base of the Falls is about 150 feet deep. The dangers for the fish rests with seagulls/terns who patrol the base of the Falls in large flocks looking for those unfortunate fish that are stunned by the fall and swim too close to the surface.

Obviously the journey over the American Falls is much more hazardous because of the dangers of being crushed against the rock talus at the base of the Falls. The Horseshoe is a relatively safe route for fish to travel because of the absence of the rock talus. Remember that 90% of all the water goes over the Horseshoe Falls.

Of all the fish that journey over the Falls, very few will perish. There is little doubt that this journey is very harsh and traumatic, however most are successful and survive only to run the gauntlet of fishermen along the river.

If you stand at the Falls, it is very rare to see a fish jump out of the stream of the water falls because of their immensity and volume. Remarkably, if one stands at the base of the Falls, very few dead fish can be found.

As a note of interest, several years ago a tourist was struck by a salmon while walking at the Cave of the Winds boardwalk. Luckily, the fish just grazed the tourist resulting in no serious injury. This tourist caught himself a salmon literally by hand and that's a lot harder and more dangerous than regular fishing. This tourist was able to take his catch home with him as a trophy.

Renown Niagara River expert, Wes Hill, confirms that fish indeed go over the falls and he estimated that 90% of them survived. He said he has seen them in the early morning. At times they will appear "stunned" from there trip over the falls, but revive after a few minutes and swim away.

The sport fish of the Niagara River include Chinook and Coho Salmon, Smallmouth Bass, White Bass, Carp, Rainbow Trout, Lake Trout, Catfish, Muskellunge, Northern Pike and Yellow Perch. The largest fish is the Lake Sturgeon. The lake sturgeon can reach a length of 7 feet and weigh more than 300 lbs. living over 50 years of age. In the Niagara Region there are approximately 94 species of fish. This region has the most diverse freshwater fish population in Canada. Today , it is not uncommon to catch 20-30 pound salmon in the autumn.

There have been several recorded instances where water fowl swimming on the surface of the water in inclement foggy weather have been swept to their deaths over the Falls when they failed to recognize the dangers of the waterfalls ahead.

I also remember years ago a kid riding on the Maid Of The Mist was hit by a fish coming over the falls. The Article was in The Review and could be found in the archives at the library.

Question 2 -

What is the longest migration within the great lakes of an individual fish?

What I'm trying to say is, do you think a fish would ever leave Thunder Bay, and end up at kingston, via only the great lakes (possibly short cutting through the Trent-Severn?)

I tried googling this and it was no use.

So.. longest recorded migration of an individual fish.? How long did it take?

Question 2 -

What is the longest migration within the great lakes of an individual fish?

What I'm trying to say is, do you think a fish would ever leave Thunder Bay, and end up at kingston, via only the great lakes (possibly short cutting through the Trent-Severn?)

I tried googling this and it was no use.

So.. longest recorded migration of an individual fish.? How long did it take?

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Fish/eel/eel.html

I like how fish can't go up the falls.. It makes for a good natural barrier, if it weren't for the welland canal.

Can you imagine zebra mussels and sea lamprey being confined to Lake Ontario only? Wow that would be righteous.

3rd question - How fast would you have to be travelling when you hit the brink of the horseshoe falls, heading north, in order to clear the falls and land on the flatter water below? You may use a lund boat or a chris craft or a jetski.

That's my thought....

I always thought that no fish would go over the falls. They are strong enough to swim against the current unless they are sick or old then they were going to die anyway.

If one did go over I would think the smaller lighter fish might fair better than a larger fish with a bigger splash.

Thing that make you go Hmmmmmmm :)see you at cancun hotels

Now I understand the water right above the falls at the precipice isn't that deep. Would it be suitable to wade out in and try some fly fishing?

There has to be some fish in that stretch of water right?

Use to wade out and fish the pools early in the morning. Had to be in at a certain time when they increased the flow of the water over the falls for the day. Caught bass and rainbows. Don't think that it is allowed now and will be fined if caught.

Archived