Marlatts Road

Luvevolution

the funniest thing happened up there today. I made my own pineapple and honey boilies, so decided to give them a go today. I went up there and chummed the swim with the boilies. sat around for a while and practiced casting with my baitcaster, using soft plastics. then I went to get my wife from work and came back to fish with the boiles. tied up some hair rigs, which worked for the first time ever, so I was at least proud of that accomplishment. LOL. I saw that the Carp were taking stuff off the surface, so I set the boilie at about a foot and a half depth and put on a bobber. cast out at about 60-70 feet and let it sit there. felt something bump the boilie, so I figured I lost it and reeled it in. the boilie was a bit demolished, so I put on a new one and cast out. this time, I hit the handle of the baitcaster by accident and heard the dreaded snap of the line. out went the bait and the bobber, about 40 feet or so and the line went limp. so while cursing at myself, I reeled the line in and sat there watching my bobber float away with the wind. a few minutes go by and sure enough, something hits the bait, cause I watched the bobber go under. then the fish rolls over the surface and the bobber starts heading out to the middle of the pond, which is when it diappeared for good. the funny part is, that the whole thing reminded me of the movie Jaws, when they were harpooning barrels into the shark and it was dragging them away and under the water. LOL.

so, feeling totally dejected, I packed up for the day and came home. at least there's one good thing about all this..................I know the boilies work. LOL. it just struck me funny that this same fish (in my mind anyway) hit the bait again after I cast it back in. too bad my rod wasn't attached to it, or I'de have had a great pic to put up on here. LOL. oh well, there's always next time. so if you see a bobber cruising around the pond, you'll know who's it is. hahahahaha.

Rich

sounds like fun Rich so the carp are showing up there eh, need to get into a few maybe monday I will go tomorrow its a different adventure.

Ah rookie mistake with that baitcaster. When i started using a baitcaster some 20 odd years ogo i snapped off more lures than you could shake the proverbial stick at. I changed to braided and never lost another. I have never used mono on my baitcaster since. The other nice thing about braided is you can get 10 X the life out of it as compared to mono and if you birds nest it it is way easier to get out.. Give it a try.

i have the same thing happen except i snapped off on a snag and haflt hour later noticed my old float going all over the place so i tried to get it back and there was something huge on the end of my line i think either big cat fish or bowfin i lost it due to i was using a slip float and once the bobboer stop came off there was nothing to hook in to but i got my float back lol

rik

believe it or not, I'm using 30 pound braid. LOL. that sucker snapped off so fast, I couldn't believe it. :) and I agree, totally rookie mistake...........it was my fault and I knew it. LOL. just figures that the fish would take it, without my rod attached to it in any way. :D I'm almost positive that as I was bringing the rod over my shoulder, that something hit the handle of the reel and closed the bail. that's the only thing I can figure anyway, cause I deffinitely heard it close. I'll learn from it though and won't do that again. I find I've run into problems when I'm rushing or whipping the rod like I would with a spinning reel. if I make a nice lazy cast, I don't get into trouble.

Rich

Archived