Upper Niagara Fly Fishing

FishyWishy

Does anyone fly fish the upper Niagara? I know sass doesn't open for a few weeks (and I think Smallies would be a best bet in the upper....Correct me if I'm wrong) But I'm looking for info on flyfishing in the upper. Possibly setting up a trip with someone that can show me what to do...where is safe etc.

Feel free to PM me...or post a reply.

Thanks,

FW

I posted some advice, but it's been removed. I must have broken a rule or something i guess. Are you not allowed to promote local guides on this forum anymore?

No advice??? From anyone??? Pretty please?

I posted some advice, but it's been removed. I must have broken a rule or something i guess. Are you not allowed to promote local guides on this forum anymore?

Maybe it was something you should have sent in a PM.

your not allowed to advetice i beleive and one person that might be able to help you out with it is coachman he is an avid fly angler and amazing fly tier ( i ended up winning to packs of them at the swill)

your not allowed to advetice i beleive and one person that might be able to help you out with it is coachman he is an avid fly angler and amazing fly tier ( i ended up winning to packs of them at the swill)

hehe, I'm not sure I deserve the accolades, but thanks! I hope to see some photos of your catches with those flies. ;)

As for advise on fishing the Niagara, believe it or not, I've never fished the river, although I hope that changes soon.

I have fished big water before though. If I was going to approach the river without much knowledge or a guide, I'd treat it as I would a salmon river. That is, work downstream a yard at a time, one cast, fish it out, move down, wash rinse and repeat. That way you cover more water and get to learn the river.

As for gear, I'd go big or go home. My own rods are a 7-8 weight 9 footer and a 10 weight 2-hand spey rod. For the Niagara I'd take the spey.

If your not sure then refresh yourself with the rules. It's a short read.

Most of the Upper Niagara River is safe to wade in because it is so shallow. Finding concentrations of fish is the hard part. Is slack water the most ideal place?

Archived