Beaverdams Pond?

malinois_16

follow Beaverdams west and you'll end up at the Beaverdams ponds. not sure what's in there, as I've never fished there myself. I know a few that have and they say they've caught pannies, Bass and Bulheads in there.

if you go a bit further, there's better fishing though. go under the Thorold tunnel and get off at Pine St. turn left and head south to the end. turn right and the lake Gibson ponds will be on your left. fish anywhere from shore and you can catch anything you like in there.

Rich

ive been fishn in beaverdams and gibson all my live and these are the fish i have personally caught or seen caught in theses waters

BASS...

PIKE

MUSKIE

WALLEYE

RAINBOWS

CRAPPIE

BLUGILL

CHANNEL CATS

CARP

GAR PIKE

PERCH

SHEEPHEAD

prolly missin a couple but now you can think is it worth givin it a try

the workers down at the dams also tell rumours of sturgeon in there...

never know what you'll get in gibson

Any fish that lives in Erie can potentially live in Gibson, there are deep enough channels to keep the waters cool enough for trout to survive and lots of shallow flats. no idea what would make a fish want to swim down the welland canal, but thats their ticket into Gibson.

Okay maybe I will try Gibson Ponds. Looks like a good variety. Is there a sign saying Gibson Pond or do I have to kinda look for it? I know how to get to Pine St Exit, how far down when I turn left do I have to go before I hit the end? I used to take my dog to Thorold vet and usually I turn right rather left so I have an idea where I am going. Is it an open area like firemens park or will I have to do some bush wacking to get to the pond? Trying to figure out if I should wear shorts or pants because I dont want my legs all scratched up lol. Now the Perch out of there is safe to eat right?

Guest Herbs'n'Carp

define safe? lol ive seen catfish come outa there with blisters on them, the perch usually look clean but thats my experience.

ive aten a few that ive caught through the ice.....they were jumbos and i have had no probs or my kids. i alwasys say just keep it to a minumum

wouldnt be eatin too much fish outta any body of water round here but a feed a month wont kill ya!

Autumn,

If you take the Pine st exit and head south (away from downtown thorold), Pine st eventually comes to an end at beaverdams road. Turn right and follow the road for approximately 2 km. You will see the first of a couple ponds on your left hand side. These would be the "marlatts ponds". The little community you'll see that exists on Kaye and Marlatts roads is what is called Beaverdams. I'm quite familiar with the area as my school bus rode through there for 10 years of my life or so... (until I got my drivers licence)

Lake Gibson is just past Marlatts road and it has many access points from the road. You shouldn't have to do much bushwacking, but the option is there if you want to get to a more remote spot. Beware because there are some spots which will be fairly shallow and muddy and not hold many fish.

Where Marlatts road meets Beaverdams road, there is also a "Y" intersection. You can follow decew road up past the confederation heights subdivision and find more fishing spots along merrittville highway.

I suggest google mapsing it first and look for any spots where the road meets the water, start from there There are a lot of places to fish on Gibson.

The only fish I've ever eaten from any where in Thorold would have been Pike that my dad speared back in the 80's in Thorold South (aka the water bodies on the east side of the canal). There is a history of contamination, but ecosystems have an interesting habit of cleaning themselves and I think a lot of fish that are lower on the food chain (perch, sunners) would be okay to eat.

Archived