Lower Niagara

Luvevolution

my buddy and I hit our secret spot again on the lower and had a bit more of a productive day than the day before. we got there at 11am and there was an older Chinese couple fishing there, but hadn't caught a thing all morning, except for a few Goby's. the wind was blowing directly upstream, so we figured this was gonna be an unproductive day. that was true for the first hour or so. lots of small nibbles from Goby's but nothing spectacular. then the bite really started. I finally remembered that I had a scale with measuring tape in the tackle box and although the scale is older and not the most accurate, it's fairly close. so we weighed and measured all fish caught.

I got into a 1lb smallie and my buddy got into a monster Goby. then he skunked me for two..............a 1.5lb largie and a 1lb Rockie. then I hit a 1lb Rockie and a 3lb smallie..................that one went in the keep net. LOL. then he got a 2.5lb smallie, which also went in the keep net. at that point, a school of Drum must have been swimming by because we hooked two each. I got a 22" and a 17" and he got and 18" and 19" Drum. all Drum were C&R'd. then the school must have gone by and the Bass came back in. we both hooked into another smallie each that were 2lbs and 2.5 lbs. both of which went into the keep net. then we called it a day and cleaned the fish on sight. filleted them and kept some of the guts and throat meat for later use. then cut the carcasses into smaller chunks and fed the resident marine carnivores. absolutely nothing went to waste.

when I got home, I carefully removed the skins off the fillets with my knife and cut them into smaller chunks of meat. then I mixed a bowl of flour and steak spice and coated the meat with this mix. then fried them in butter. what else can you say except, yum yum. it was soooooooooooo good. too bad I couldn't hook into a Muskie again like the day before, but was a great day out on the water. we'll be heading back there tomorrow, to see what we can get into again. LOL.

Rich

I love it down there. it's pretty much none stop action and all fair sized fish. I'm gonna have to take my camera down there one day, so I can take pics of these huge Drum that are being caught. we were down there again today and the Drum were in feeding again. caught a few, then the bite died off, so we went home. I would love to get back into that moster Ski that is cruising around that area. gonna see about doubling up the bucktail to make it a bigger target. think I'm gonna hit Rennie park in the afternoon tomorrow and see what I can get into there.

Rich

Archived