Personal best smallmouth

Went camping with my wife and her family this past weekend. Not a lot of fish, despite there being a lot of promising areas. Was getting nothing on a rapala, so I switched to the tried and true senko (my favourite bass bait). After a few seconds on the sink, this nice smallmouth took off with it. Didn't get a weight, and neglected to measure it, but definitely a personal best.

gallery_3122_172_331084.jpg

Got a smallmouth about half this size on the next cast. Got a few tiny perch and a sunfish on a microtube. This was the first day. Fished here and there the next few days and got nothing. Got really close to a loon out in the canoe. I had never seen a loon get that close. Might be because we were between it and its family. It was making a lot of noise.

gallery_3122_172_18243.jpg

gallery_3122_172_12970.jpg

Not a lot of fishing after that. Heat exhaustion = leaving early the next day, and sleeping for 15 hours.

Beautiful fish!

I've had loons approach me before. If you're reasonably still (no loud noises or sudden movements) they'll swim right up to you. Seems they have a good measure of curiousity.

Archived