wanting to buy a Baitcast rod

Luvevolution

hey guys (and gals, LOL)

I'm on the market for a decent baitcast rod, that's not going to break the bank. I've checked out the local tackle shops and the local chain stores. I'm looking for a 6'6"-7'0" two piece and I've found two that I like................one is a Fenwick 6'6" at CT that's on sale this week and I've seen several places that sell the Shimano Volteus 6'6". I believe both are medium power with fast action. the Fenwick rod is much lighter in the hands than the Shimano rod, which might end up being important on a long day of local fishing for Bass, Pike, etc. (the usual stuff you catch around here)...................

so the question I have, is which one would be the better of the two in this case? I'm hoping someone here has experience with these two brands, or can suggest another brand of rod, that's equally as good or better. thanks for any info or advice.

Rich

For rods I have never been a fan of shimano - get either Fenwick or St. Croix.

IMO the only great shimano rods were their V-Rods - and thats because they were made from Lomis blanks. I have two and they are great (but expensive then, and discontinued now).

i am not sure how much u are willing to spend but the st. croix triumph rods are great bang for your buck rods..i think around 60 bucks. if you can spend a little bit more, go for the mojo bass series at 100 bucks...peters sells both

Guest UglyFish

what are u planning on using the rod for? the Volteus rods have a very soft blank, slow parabolic bend which gives them the strength to be abused a bit and not break. good rods for crankbaits, but not much else.

yeah, I'll be using the rod for crankbaits. we fish for Bass, Pike and the usual fishing in this area. I was checking out the Mojo Bass and Triumph rods at Peters today, but if I remember correctly, they are a one piece rod. me and one piece rods aren't going to get along all that well, I'm afraid. LOL. I do like the looks of the Mojo rod though. it's very cool. I preferred the weight of the Fenwick rod over the Shimano rod and it looks like it's constructed much better than the Shimano too.

Guest UglyFish

the quantum energy PT rods are a nice rod, usually around 90 bucks, but u can likely get one for less then that rite now. they have some good actions a good warrenty and come in 2 piece models.

thanks for the Quantum info Ugly. I'll have to take a look at those. might make more sense too, since I have two Quantum baitcast reels and the rods would probably be weighted for use with their own reels.

Rich

I recently broke mine and had to replace it. I only have 1 baitcasting rod so I was looking for an all around rod that can do crankbaiting, spinnerbaiting, but also also have a lot of backbone for fishing weedless plastics, etc. Those are two different things with different requirements, so it is hard to find something that will do all of them well, but a guy at the bass pro shop recommended the Shimano Voltaeus. For 50-60$ I am very happy with it. It apparently is really durable and has a lifetime guarantee, and from the few times I have had the opportunity to use it, it seems like a really nice rod that has a sensitive flexible tip but still a lot of backbone. If I remember correctly it received favorable comments in Ontario Out of Doors, or some such magazine.

thanks for posting your experience with the Shimano rod Steven. how do you find the weight of the rod? in the store, it feels fairly heavy in your hands, but of course, this isn't always a good experience because you don't have your own reel on it and you can't use it in real life situations to see what it's like or capable of. all I can say, is that it feels very stiff and well made, but heavy.....................I can see that being a deffinite advantage in certain situations though. both the Fenwick and Shimano rods are on sale this week, so I'm looking to buy. I'm glad you shared your experience with this rod and any more info you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Shimano rods I believe are the only company that has a lifetime warranty. That mite only be on the higher end stuff but it may be worth looking into. I've never owned one either, like you I wasn't a fan of the weight factor. They dont seem to have very good balance. One rod that just came out and I fell in love with is the new abu garcia vendetta. They have one and two peice models in all different weights. I have a 7' heavy one peice and its great.

I don't really have a good comparison point. My other rod is busted in half so unfortunately I can't really compare weight side by side anymore :) I want to say the shimano is heavier than my old one, but is also a foot longer, so there is more material. I can imagine there being lighter rods for sure, but I haven't been fatigued or anything by using it. However, the longest straight period I have fished with it is probably about an hour. After several hours it might be a different story.

Check out a sort-of-review here, with some good pics (okay, one good pic) ;)

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanovoltaeus.html

As an aside, this is a great site for tackle reviews in general.

If you are worried about breaking a one piece rod but interested in the Mojo Bass rods, you are able to purchase an extended warranty wich also covers the rod even if you break it yourself. I bought one at the begining of the season and love it. I also have had PT energy rod for 3 years now and it's still as good as when I bought it.

Guest UglyFish
Shimano rods I believe are the only company that has a lifetime warranty. That mite only be on the higher end stuff but it may be worth looking into. I've never owned one either, like you I wasn't a fan of the weight factor. They dont seem to have very good balance. One rod that just came out and I fell in love with is the new abu garcia vendetta. They have one and two peice models in all different weights. I have a 7' heavy one peice and its great.

lots of companies offer lifetime warrenties on their rods. the shimano volteaus was made to compete with the ugly sticks as an "unbreakable" rod. i watched bob izumi break one while demonstrating how "unbreakable" that rod was lol.

if ur gonna get a shimano rod, get a compre. good price point and good rod. as i said, the quantum energy PT is an excellant rod for around 100 bucks. spend a wee bit more and get a quantum tour edition PT rod, great rods, and they have a lifetime warrenty. and are SO much easier to deal with then shimano for the warrenty.

the rapala R type rods are sweet too. they have some good actions, and come in a 2 piece as well, and fits ur price range nicely.

ya really gotta watch out for guys on these sites when u ask for help picking gear lol. all ur gonna get is guys tellin u to buy the same crap they use and saying its the best. be it quantum, shimano, abu garcia, st croix, etc.

best advice is, take what u learned here, go to a couple shops, take the reel u plan on pairing with the rod with u. then pick a few of the rods that u like and fit ur price. put the reel on each rod and see how it feels. then based on what feels best in ur hand, make ur purchase.

St. Croix has lifetime on its higher end rods too. My buddy broke a low end mojo in his trunk (closed on it) and they replaced it with no receipt - no questions asked. I may be wrong but Mojo have 2 pc rods as well - in fact I think his was a 2 pc.

I have a Med Light spinning mojo and its a great rod for the $

But I would still go for Fenwick over Shimano if not St. Croix...

thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to do exactly what was suggested and take my reel into the tackle shop and try them on all the rods mentioned here. I agree that this is the best way to get the proper fit for me. I'm not really worried about the price too much, but want something decent without breaking the bank. I don't mind spending a hundred bucks on a rod that I know I'm going to get years of enjoyment out of. I saw rods for over 200 bucks and that's a little much for me. LOL. I'll take my Quantum reel in tomorrow and I'll let you know what I've come up with. thanks guys. ;)

Rich

Archived