Erie Shallows

Guest chilli

Took the kids out to a spot that's easy to launch the row boat today. As usual I saw many bass, some absolutely huge, but only one taker and that was while I was occupied once again with the kids so it was another thank you sir from the fish.

The problem is the water is so shallow, that I have to paddle the boat for about 20 minutes or so before it's safe to turn my back on the rocks and row. Once off the reef the fish are there and I suppose it's just a matter of bringing the right baits. Guess I need to go see Denis again.

I would have worked this spot all day had the kids not been crying about being uncomfortable and "I'm cold", and how about "oh the waves are too big". There was a stiff wind out there and we were going up and down quite a ways but these huge bass were just following the boat waiting for us to throw the right thing!

But I still enjoyed it as did this guy and his kids in the picture below. When he sais he's taken the kids for a drive to go swimming, he means it. He powered through the rotted seaweed/muck shoreline and then demonstrated how shallow this area of Lake Erie is. He's not even close to going out half way as far as he could but was concerned about the rocks. This picture certainly makes the lake look calm but has a long point to the right that shelters this bay.

shallow.jpg

Any info on 9.9's would be helpfull at this point guys. What do I need to avoid if I buy a used motor besides the reef?!!

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Geez it looks like he's not the first one to drive out there. Dan I'd wait till after the new year then start hitting the Marinas. Nicholls usually has a sale on at that time of year,I got my 6hp 4stroke for less the $2000. It was new however,I know he has used ones there. Just don't buy a motor thats been out on lease!!

Guest Gill Finigan

Baits for erie smallies. That a easy pick. bring tubes tubes and some more tubes. Natural colours are best. Stick to browns, greens and smoke. A bit of purple flake or gold flake seems to be best.

if your go deeper for them try jigging spoons for them fall hogs

Took the kids out to a spot that's easy to launch the row boat today. As usual I saw many bass, some absolutely huge, but only one taker and that was while I was occupied once again with the kids so it was another thank you sir from the fish.

The problem is the water is so shallow, that I have to paddle the boat for about 20 minutes or so before it's safe to turn my back on the rocks and row.  Once off the reef the fish are there and I suppose it's just a matter of bringing the right baits. Guess I need to go see Denis again.

I would have worked this spot all day had the kids not been crying about being uncomfortable and "I'm cold", and how about "oh the waves are too big". There was a stiff wind out there and we were going up and down quite a ways but these huge bass were just following the boat waiting for us to throw the right thing!

But I still enjoyed it as did this guy and his kids in the picture below.  When he sais he's taken the kids for a drive to go swimming, he means it. He powered through the rotted seaweed/muck shoreline and then demonstrated how shallow this area of Lake Erie is. He's not even close to going out half way as far as he could but was concerned about the rocks. This picture certainly makes the lake look calm but has a long point to the right that shelters this bay.

shallow.jpg

Any info on 9.9's would be helpfull at this point guys. What do I need to avoid if I buy a used motor besides the reef?!!

946[/snapback]

Hey Chilli, There is a buy/sell magazine out there called The supershopper,it is based out of Barrie and you can access all the ads online for free!!. just try www.supershopper.com and you should be there . There is a number of motors for sale there and probably more as the fall progresses. If that fails you then try the smart shopper it is a local buy/sell at most stores there is a few small motors in there right now that are reasonable. Make sure that the cylinders have the same compression or close ,if it is off 5 to 10 lbs difference walk away you are looking at trouble, also the prop seal and the skeg for no leaks or chips. Listen to the engine run and shifting gears at idle , if there is any griding noise run away!

hopes this helps.....Thom

I used a dark green salted tube today and they never even followed. Followed the boat like sharks though. Maby I should stand on the reef and cast the Pequin!

Brian. On my way to work down Garrison 2 weeks ago, there was a boat/ motor and trailer with a sign that said $600 obo. It was gone when I got off work. I suspect the home was being dumped too as there is development planned there. Prolly more of a headache then I need but whew, thats cheap. I wonder if the old evenrude was any good?

Hey thanks sirfish for the link. There is some good stuff in there!

Archived