Grimsby-Elizabeth st pier

packrat

After a long absence visted here again today for a real close look. First off 40 mile creek upstream from the mouth looked like a mudhole. Just in from the lake itself still looked like it might attract cruising salmon or browns. From the pier the lake bottom seems to drop off rather quickly and would appear to be the best spot. However talked to couple of people there, they implied there wasnt much action to be had there in the fall. If anybody has any info to pass along it would be appreciated. If you dont want to post here please contact me by email. Thanks . Later, Gord

:Gonefishing: Packrat, I grew up in the Grimsby area & have fished the mouth for over 20yrs now. It's unfortunate but that area is a USETOBE. In other words it use to be good down there in the fall, but over the last few years we really haven't seen much of anything show up. The creek has been dry in the fall for the last several years & I can't remember when the last time I'vs seen a decent run of fish go up the creek. Sure, if we get some rain & the creek starts flowing(the creek drops quickly though) we may see a run but even then I doubt any real numbers. You might pop a bow, brown or salmon off the pier, again though no real numbers & it's usually not worth the time or the effort it takes to luck into a fish. There are definitely WAY more productive waters in the area like 50 Point, Jordan Harbour & Port Dalhouise. BTW the lake bottom doesn't drop off quickly, it stays a pretty consistent 6-8ft(within casting distance, anyways).

:Gonefishing: Heatmiser Thanks for the reply. Pretty much my opinion of the place after closer look. Was at 50 Point as well today, again been a long time, but definitely on my list of to do places. Jordan Harbour has always been a favourite of mine. Fished it in the glory days. Was really looking good, good flow,colour. As for Port D becoming more of a favourite with each visit. So many good places so little time. Later, Gord

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steelheader

When you guys talk about "Jordan Harbor" do you mean the actual harbor where The Beacon restaurant is? Do you fish of the breakwater rocks?

Steelheader. Jordan Harbor to me is the outflow that passes under the QEW into Lake O. Dont usually fish off the breakwall altho people do pick off fish there. The best spot is usually around the abutments but you have to watch the regs. They state it is open year round from the QEW to the lake but what is usually interpreted to my knowledge is that means from the "northern" edge of the Hamilton bound QEW. I have heard people try to say that it is the north service road which is the boundary. Perhaos someone else can clarify this. As for the marina behind the Beacon Motel it has proven to be a magnet for schools of browns. There is no fishing allowed behind the marina but guys do venture out on the rocks to the narow mouth. Dont know how well they do out there cause these ol bones are not meant for that kind of exercise anymore. :) H I H Later, Gord

Guest Steelheader

Thanks Gord,

So fish actually move up into that body of water huh? I stopped to take a look there once but there was no flow and the water seemed pretty muddy, so I didn't think it looked like much of a spot. Do you drift with roe, or cast spoons? And when you say "schools of browns" in the marina, do you mean they actually come into the marina where the boats are docked?

Sorry so many questions...just trying to learn :)

Jason

Steelheader. That outflow has usually been a hot spot for browns, at least it used to be. Dont see why they still wouldnt come in there. Depending on weather conditions it can be muddy one minute, then you'll get an inflow from the lake(cooler) water which will push the flow back up into the lake. The browns like to come in under the dirty water to feed. Most people that fish around the abutments will use roe bags, while off the breakwall you can use either one. Lots of snags. As for the marina itself the comment I made was from personal experience a few years ago when there was schools of browns cruising around the boat docks. In fact they were even coming right up to the boat ramp. You should have seen the action at the harbor before they built the second overpass. Could sit there all morning without a hit and then all of a sudden a small school would come in and everybody was on fish. :) Sorry for being so long winded. Later, Gord

Archived