Martindale Pond

inwook80

hey guys

I just moved to St.Catharines.

for few weeks I seen people fishing at port Dalhousie so I decide to fish my self~ ^^

went to Pete bought some rod and baits and tried at Port Dalhousie and no luck....

so I googled fishing in St.Catharines and got this nice forum ~ and found out Martindale pond is pretty goot spot~

so I was there monday with my family, for about 1hr and got about 10 fish~ most of them rock bass, and gobi?? the one that you are suppose to kill on site~ or something...

anyways..... what I want to ask you is.... this might sound silly.... what can I use for fishing instead of worms? my wife just hate hate hate the feeling of worms.

if you can help me out~ that be superb~

thx for taking time to read and the answers~ thx~~~~ :lol:

Plastic worms, but they take a skill to use. I'm just learning myself, really it's not too hard. Use a bit of scent on them, and you can fish them almost exactly like the real thing in some cases.

you can use anything from home that's got a bit of smell to it. corn, hot dogs, shrimp, etc, etc. worms and leeches are by far the best to use, but some are afraid of both of those critters. LOL. I would say that most people assume that leeches are blood suckers and that just aint true. leeches will lock on to you with their sucker, but they absolutely do not suck blood. if you don't wanna try live, Berkley Gulp sell some great fake leeches that work really well. the good thing about Berkley Gulp is that if you use all the bait, you can buy bagged stuff and put it in the remaining liquid and the scent will seep into the plastic bait.................so don't throw away the liquid. LOL. a bait that works very well and is often overlooked is pork rind. attach a piece to a hard bait, stick bait, or spinner and you increase your catch percentage. I tip all my stick baits and spinners with either plastic twist tail grub, or a piece of live bait.

as for spots to fish around Port, don't forget the marina at the end of Lighthouse Rd., in the channel off either pier and anywhere on Martindale pond. JC Gardens is great to fish the old lock or off the shore. there's lots of species to be caught there. Rennie Park (by Timmies in Port) is another great spot to fish for Bass and pannies. hope that helps.

Rich

had luck out there with a 5 inch senko plastic worm and a 18 inch pike or so .. a small berkly power shade got a pike as well and a standard red devil. Mepps spinners got me a rock bass and a small plastic minnow a nice sized perch.

Archived