Goby Petition

lara4228

A Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled Concerning

Remove the Invasive Species, Round Goby, latin name, Neogobius melanostomus

We, the undersigned residents of Canada, draw the attention of the House to the following:

The round goby takes over prime spawning sites traditionally used by native species, competing with native fish for habitat and changing the balance of the ecosystem. The round goby is already causing problems for other bottom-dwelling Great Lakes native fish like mottled sculpin, logperch and darters. Goby can also survive in degraded water conditions, and spawn more often and over a longer period than native fish. Unfortunately, they have shown a rapid range of expansion through the Great Lakes. Thus creating a concerning decrease in native fish species within these waters.

Many of the characteristics of the round goby invasion parallel that of the Eurasian ruffe.

This specific species of fish has caused undue hardship on the ecological and marinebiology of all the water in and around the Great Lakes. THESE FISH MUST BE ERADICATED NOW.

Residents and anglers within this region want to be reimbursed a sum of $0.25 per Round Goby retained from these waters. The paid monies will be paid by each individual municpality through tax dollars granted from the Government of Canada. This is in effort to save the waters in which are going through a negative turbulance and upset to the waters eco systems, due to this species of fish.

THEREFORE your petitioners call upon Parliament to hold the Government of Canada to

account and demand that the Minister of Natural Resources alongside with all other governing bodies to abide by this stated

promise to give allocated funding as a priority for the efforts of eradicating an invasive species of fish, Round Goby, to the residents within each municapality surrounding all waters which has this species of fish within its water as a habitat.

Name

***lara4228***

Signature

***lara4228***

Street

Number

Email Address Example: John Doe John Doe 100 John@doe.ca

((((Most information copied from Wikipedia and www.great-lakes.net))))

Anybody else willing to sign the petition????? :lol:

It's not quite that simple. I'm not a resident of Canada, as your petition says. I'm a temporary resident, without permanent status. Therefore, the country does not acknowledge me as a resident of any kind.

LMAO. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. nice.

oh, I'm deffinitely in. since I'm the first permanent resident of Canada to respond, that makes me the first on the list. COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. LOL. giddy up, I wants ma munneee. :lol:

Rich

just a few questions ....

how many of the current spiecies in our waters are native spiecies ?

how did each species get here ?

how is it possible to completely erradicate a species from our native waterways ?

isnt that like playing "god" ?

wouldn't the the cash outlay from any government body be better spent to feed the homeless and low income families ?

ok ,,, brain fart over ....

road :lol:

just a few questions ....

how many of the current spiecies in our waters are native spiecies ?

how did each species get here ?

how is it possible to completely erradicate a species from our native waterways ?

isnt that like playing "god" ?

wouldn't the the cash outlay from any government body be better spent to feed the homeless and low income families ?

ok ,,, brain fart over ....

road :lol:

first of all, man's been playing god for years. all you have to do is look at any new technology medical procedure and this statement can clearly be defined as playing god. and I'm not even getting into stem cell research or DNA cloning because it would take too long, but that's further proof of man playing god. also, since man is the creator of "god", I'm wondering if you or anyone can accurately define what "playing god" actually is. god is something created by man to try to define where and how he fits into the universe and also to attempt to immortalize himself because he cannot comprehend the ultimate ending of his existence. therefore, he creates a deity that can provide him with immortality if he follows the "righteous path to redemption". humans are the only animal smart enough to think the way we do and we cannot comprehend the universe as a finite/infinite entity, so we create god to make ourselves feel better about our existence and ultimately, our future.

as far as erradicating an invasive species from our waters, I doubt it's possible without some form of very expensive procedures. with that comes heavier taxation of the population and don't you think we're taxed enough as it is? Canadians are among the highest taxed people on the face of the earth...............probably the highest if you look at demographics. the Canadian government has always wasted tax dollars and is nothing new. there's plenty of historical records to prove that statement if you search it. look at the helicopter fiasco several years back. they spent millions of taxpayer dollars to secure a contract with Eurocopter. when the newly ellected government got in office, they decided they didn't want them, so they cancelled the program without any thought to the money previously spent and also the cancellation fee, which also came out of your pocket at great expense. it would have been cheaper to buy the damn things than to pull out, especially when we needed them. the same thing is going on with the F-35 strike fighter that Canada has committed to buying. I bet a new government will be ellected and they'll pull out of the deal and lose hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars. after saying this, don't you think those hundreds of millions of wasted taxpayer dollars would have been better allocated to homeless and sub-poverty level families? I concur with your sentiments completely, but we have to look at the bigger picture. if you don't like the way the government spends money, then it's time to vote someone in who will spend it better. everyone has a voice. I suggest at the next election, everyone should vote for Jack Layton (NDP). he may be a crook or he may not be, but the bottom line is, we've been screwed over by the Liberals and Conservatives for so long, how much worse could the NDP be? I would bet that with his background and values, the NDP would be the better vote instead of wasting it on the other two parties.

the point is, it's fine to say and do things we do, but at some point, we've got to think about the backing of our thoughts. if you think about the proposal of 25 cents per fish caught, it's not such a bad idea. since it's already taxpayers money, it would be put right back into the system. how?, you may ask. well, if you get money for catching Goby's, what are you likely to do with that money if you catch 4 bucks worth of Goby's? my guess is, you'de go to somewhere like Peter's tackle and buy worms, or spend it on fishing gear. so with that money, you've stimulated the economy and also put some tax money back into the system. so the government is getting something back for it's rather small investment. it's the same thing with invetro fertilization for couples who can't concieve. it's rather expensive at about 20,000 bucks and it's proposed that the government cover this at taxpayers expense. that's a fantastic idea if you think about it. 20 grand to pay for someone to have a kid, that will more than pay back that 20 grand over his/her lifetime in taxes. when thought of in those terms, 20 grand isn't all the expensive and I would completely give my vote to that endeavour. if we and the government think smart, lots can be accomplished. if we don't, much is wasted. that's life I suppose and the more we accept it, the more they will waste and the more we will be asking why we can't stimulate the homeless and low income families instead of wasting money on a great environmental idea that has many possibilities.

first of all, man's been playing god for years....

that's life I suppose and the more we accept it, the more they will waste and the more we will be asking why we can't stimulate the homeless and low income families instead of wasting money on a great environmental idea that has many possibilities.

Ummm...Luvevlution, are we onto something here? Do we seriously want to lobby this idea? :roflblack:

That was quite the political thought you had.

You seem to be the policitcal front here, I'll do the lobbying, you'll do the research, I'll do the advertising and we'll petition it together? :roflblack:

Well then, not only are a fisherperson by nature but a politican to boot!

Ha! What a combo! You can lure the people in! :o

Okay, should we start a new thread...petition the gobies? :lol:

I would rather petition the other fish right now..............as in petitioning them to bite more often. LOL.

by the way, that's an awesome Darwin fish ya got there Road. I've been looking for one for my car for ages. I always see people with them, but never found one yet. LOL.

I would rather petition the other fish right now..............as in petitioning them to bite more often. LOL.

by the way, that's an awesome Darwin fish ya got there Road. I've been looking for one for my car for ages. I always see people with them, but never found one yet. LOL.

you can get the darwin fish online . they are only around $6. plus shipping... just google "darwin fish "

Goby busters?

I don't like to be captain bring down, I do agree that a bounty on gobies could be effective, but Lake Ontario is huge.

I think that for it to have any impact, millions of gobies would have to be caught every year. And even then, thats only half of the lake. The U.S. side would have to be in on it too. I guess if the states on the other side of the lakes got in on it, then we could have an effective solution. At least to significantly reduce the populations. To completely eradicate the species from the great lakes I hypothesize would take decades. In the long run it would be worth it, but I think the only way would be to declare an all out war on them. While they're at it, they could do the same for Asian carp.

Let's just recruit homeless people to catch them and pay them the 25 cents a goby. They would be helping the environment and working for their money instead of begging. We could even make the people on welfare catch a quota for their cheque every month instead of sitting around watching TV and collecting a handout.

Archived