drifting the lower niagara

minnow killer

Since the weather is probably not going to let us out on lake erie this weekend, I was thinking of giving the lower niagara a try. But, i am a river virgin, so i am looking for some info on what i should be doing. I'm planning on launching at Queenston and drifting. Am i too early? should i use live bait? or should i be using spoons or plugs? should i cast and retrieve? or should i just chuck it out and wait?

Can't go wrong bottom bouncing a 3 way rig, try that with a K9-11 Kwikfish with half a crawler on the back treble and just drift it. Tubes as usual are always a good bet, if you fish the backdrift by the launch be ready to retie. Really any plastic on a 3way will catch fish. Too early for trout there may be the odd freak salmon going through there but you're very likely to pick up walleye this time of year they tend to be on the bigger side as well.

best bets for catching some fish on the lower ........ use a simple 3-way rig, you want your pencil leads to be on the heavier side 3/4 to even an OZ or so for weight, adjust accordingly to the current....minnows,finS minnows,Kwikfish all work well this time of year, use a faily long leader line for your choice of bait....6-7-8 feet even. Do you have an electric trolling motor?......if so, find areas betwen 15-25 feet deep....point the bow towards shore...use the electric so that your bait presentation (the boat) is moving at the same speed as the current....don't cast, just drop your line stright down off the side of the boat..you want your line to be as vertical to the boat as possible...if your line ventures too far out from the boat you will wind up with a billion snags....another key, you want your line to have steady contact with the bottom. hope that helps a bit B)

we've also had much success drop shotting in the past within 25 feet of water on the lower. we used to drop shot with two hooks tied, instead of just one. it's a good multi species option and you can easily change your baits or mix and match as required. it's also one of the best ways to finesse fish vertically from the side of your boat, especially if you have a fish finder because you can place your bait accurately on top of or around structures.

Archived