Lake Erie Lake Trout Hunt

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

:lol:

My faithful dog woke me at 04:00,A quick dewatering lunch made and out the door I went. Stopping for Tim's and gas and I was on the 406 by 04:30. A little early :dunno:

Headed to Dunnvill and fismaster's bait shack for some minnows. %^&$ he had some minnows there that were alittle bigger then the rest,do you think I could net them,geez they'd jump clear out of the water getting away from me. Finally after a 10 min struggle I got a few,the only comfort I got was they'd be soon on my hook and dead,friggying minnows!! :D

From there I headed down to Port Maitland,arriving there at 06:00 on arrival I found heavy fog on the river. SteveK I found my phone it was in the SUV! Sorry :(

Launched at 06:15

Dark0927PMaitland.jpg

As I was passing the end of the wharf I was seeing all these fish boiling on the surface,I stopped and do some flatlining,nothing there,by then it was light enough to run wide open.

Sunrise0927Erie.jpg

I hit 80FOW and trolled straight out for 3 hrs. I did however get 3 beauts :blink: Looks like he had a rough night

Shithead0927Erie.jpg

After the 3rd one I cranked everything in and headed out to the GPS points Denis gave me.

Sure enough 3hrs later I got this beautiful male Steelhead

Steelhead0927Erie.jpg

He was caught in 156FOW down 77' A nice fight once I caught up to him. They seem to like swimming at the boat :blush:

Shortly after that 2hrs on the same rod @ the same depths Lake Trout success not big,but he was nice to see. He didn't fight much or pop the rigger,I think I was towing him around for awhile :)

LT0927Erie.jpg

Marked lots of big fish out there at all depths. OH did I mention I caught both fish on a Williams :)

Hey Brian, glad to see you finally caught that Erie Laker, and the Steelhead looks good to me too!!!

Started my fishing day having to fix a flat tire on the wife's car so as usual I didn't launch till 2:00. trolled out of Crystal beach till 6:00 from 45-60ft. looking for my elusive walleye. No dice, not a bite in 4hrs. trolling. Came back in and couldn't even catch a Bass in the 45min I tried. Still way better than work. :)

Tomorrow I get to play hooky to watch Daughter no2 who's been home with a fever for a few days, Chest Infection. Doctor says just rest and antibiotics so if her fever breaks she'll be resting in the front seat of the boat off Port Colborne. :lol: I'll catch a Walleye out there yet.

Once again, congrats on your Laker, you've been putting in your time for sure.

Good fishin, Steve

Steve

Thats hard fishing. Hope your daughter feels better in time to ride shotgun :) Wifes tire,her car,her problem :) Just j/k of course,if it was me........................ :lol:

Hi Brian,

Just a quick question,  what  was that first species that you caught?(in the picture)  Did you catch three of those?

Keep up the good work,

Ian

990[/snapback]

Vidarling there Sheephead,yes I caught 3 of them :lol: Frigging things just grab the bait and hold on,only on one of them did I see the D.Rigger rod move.

No fishing for me today, little ones still got a fever. :)

Brian, did you gst that info I sent you? The spots furthest from Niagara are surrounded by deep water. :)

Good fishin, Steve

993[/snapback]

Steve

Yes I got them,tried to add them to the gps,found myself 10 miles inland in NY state. Then I noticed I had no signal in the house,worked fine outside. :lol: Thanks for the GPS marks.

Hope your young one feels better soon.

Nice Fish Brian :lol: I've heard the lakers may be in a little closer I will get you some new gps spots tonite. Nice steelie and WOW thats a huge white perch :) did you get him on a williams to? I went down to the lower to do some salmon fishing but she was way to hot. I did however go for some bass with a local lower river expert. We ended up having a good day landing some beauty smallies and a nice largemouth. His buddy was also drifting down there with same results and also a bonus eye. Hit lake erie after and managed a few more decent smallies also talked to a couple guys at the crystal beach ramp just coming out of the water and they said they did real well on smallies. Full moon tonite gonna try the river for some eye's and see what happens.

Hey Denis, Good to here your still having the same luck, I should have took your advice and tried that NY area for Walleye yesterday. Saw your van, I must have passed you on the way in.

Can you get me another rod like the one I got on Sat? My boat is unbalanced now when I'm in Walleye mode and I hate that. :lol:

Good fishin, Steve

Guest The Hound

Hey nice fish Brian , I like the Williams too . I was down there on Saturday until the wind picked up and then I headed up river . (not as lucky as you )

The Hound

Can you get me another rod like the one I got on Sat? My boat is unbalanced now when I'm in Walleye mode and I hate that. :lol:

Good fishin, Steve

998[/snapback]

Very unsafe boating there Steve,you must always buy 2 of everything just to keep the boat balanced.

Denis

Those GPS points would be great,I forgot again to bring my broken rods down to you.

Archived