Planning ahead for spring pike...

Ola

in an effort to find something to carry us through the upcoming winter (and hurricane season apparently, given the wind the last few days) my son and i are starting our annual daydream project. we have decided that we will aim for spring pike in georgian bay. don't care the size but we are hoping for numbers at least to get in some flyfishing as well as spincasting. we are looking at the shoreline up by parry sound around to the pointe au baril and on up to french river area even.

does anyone have any experience in that area that could steer us toward the best areas to aim for with a canoe? maybe if we could find some backwater areas with some of those cute islands we could just hope from outcropping to outcropping. since it will be may and the water will be cold we are not looking for openwater areas and the accompanying rough water. we will be tenting so do the campgrounds up there (killarney/french river, etc) have good access to fishable waters without too much paddling distance to cover getting there? someplace like the mouth of the key river (saw it on tv) looks tempting but you have to travel something like 8 miles downriver to get there (easy for izumi but hard for canoes).

feel free to pm or email me if you have any info to share - it will be both appreciated and closely guarded out of respect for the source.

The lakes around Killarney are poor fisheries and most of them are still dead from acid rain (smelting in Sudbury).

thanks for that info. seems to me i heard something like that a while back about killarney but it is picturesque judging by pictures i have seen.

so killarney is out.

Archived