Sunday Pikin'

rile

out on sunday to a local spot. Caught around a dozen pike and some bass as well. These are the two biggest, a 33" and a 31". Most averaged from 25"-29". They are getting real fat this time of year. Caught trolling spoons. Sorry about the bad pic quality.

P1000727block.jpg

P1000728block.jpg

Guest Pike212

out on sunday to a local spot. Caught around a dozen pike and some bass as well. These are the two biggest, a 33" and a 31". Most averaged from 25"-29". They are getting real fat this time of year. Caught trolling spoons. Sorry about the bad pic quality.

P1000727block.jpg

P1000728block.jpg

How deep are ya fishing? Everywhere you read tells you to fish deep in the fall, but I've got lots in only 10 fow this time of year. Biggest only 10 lbs. though. Don't know where to waste my time, been tryin almost everything with only a 2 lber to show so far.

we were concentrating on drop offs mostly, not sure what depth of water, didn't have a depth finder. I'm pretty the pike come up shallower in the fall rather than deep because the water temp are more favourable for them. Muskie tend to go deeper in the fall because they prefer warmer water. It took us a while to find them, but once we did, they were sure stacked up. We probably got 8 pike on the exact same trolling pass, and the 2 big ones were caught within 5 min of of each other. Once you find one fish that spot hard because there will probably be lots more. Good Luck

I don't think musket go deep in the fall. Just ran into 3 right by shore on rice. Got one medium muskey in the weeds, about 6lbs, then a tiny one about 8inch. The 8incher got violently taken right by the boat by a 18lber. All in about 2-3 feet of water. As far as i can tell they are the same as pike, in terms of their temp preferences, but i could be wrong.

Pike definately prefer colder water and feed aggresively all winter, musky feed little during winter and for the most part go deeper in the fall following baitfish. This is never a garuntee though and you can usually find some in shallow all year. The last green weeds in the fall will usually attract musky and pike in fall no matter what depth, thats probably why you were having luck in shallow.

Archived