Common Carp, how they got here

hammercarp

From OFAH enews letter

Origins of Carp in South Western Ontario

By: Felix Barbetti

Carp are large members of the min-now family (Cyprinidae) . They originated in Europe and Asia (many varieties) 8 Asian species where they were wild and also do-mesticated for food and trade span-ning over 2,000 years.

As the U.S and Canada was settled and began to develop industries rapid population growth resulted in large harvests and marketing of val-ued native species. By the mid to late 1800’s fish stocks began to de-cline at an alarming rate. The U.S. reaction in 1871 (Grant Presidency) was to appoint the U.S Fish Com-mission to oversee the nation’s fish-eries interest. One of its first tasks was to report on “Fishes worthy of Cultivation.” Since trout bass and other fish were obviously declining the USFC promoted a fish with ad-vantages that could rapidly populate ponds reservoirs (rivers fragmented by mill dams and tolerate degraded/polluted warm waters) conditions unfavourable to native species. European carp had high reproduc-tive capabilities, rapid growth and palatable flesh. Furthermore it was thought to be harmless to other fish being an omnivore rather than an-other fish eater. It was also proven to be able to

populate large and small bodies of water effectively.

Rather than delay by 1877 USFC imported 345 carp of scaled, mirror (fewer very large scales) and leather varieties of carp from Germany . The latter variety was hyped as German leather trout. These were propagated in Maryland and Wash-ington DC and by 1879 over six thousand fingerlings were shipped to 24 states. In short order 1879 to 1896 some 2.4 million carp finger-

lings were sent around the U.S and some even going to Central Amer-ica and Canada . So this “super fish” seemed to be gaining popular-ity. And make no mistake about it many anglers took to carp fishing with a passion.

Canadian history in this regard, al-though perhaps much less trum-peted, also had a rising tide of fish stocking and Conservation interest.

Alarmed by the declining Fish and Game in Southern Ontario Canada ’s first Fisheries Overseer (enforcement officer) John W Kerr (Then Secretary of the Wentworth Game and Fish Protective Associa-tion that met at Dundurn Castle in Hamilton ) was appointed by the Fed Govt 1857 and began licensing and trying to enforce fisheries laws and assess the situation.

Fish culture in Ontario was initiated by Samuel Wilmot who began rear-ing and transferring rainbow trout, Chinook salmon along with bass and common carp in the 1860’s as Atlantic salmon declined and Lake trout

was extirpated in Lake Ontario her-ring declined in Lake Erie .

In Dunnville a local Doctor natural-ist and hunter G.A. MacCallum re-quested and received permission to stock over 400 common carp in the Grand River in 1892. So between significant stocking on the Ameri-can side e and some from Southern Ontario the earliest carp stocking into Lake Erie was in the 1890’s. They certainly took hold.

Wildlife conservationists in Ontario made a major breakthrough in No-vember 1890 when the Mowat Gov-ernment appointed a Royal Com-mission on

Game and Fish headed by that same G.A. Mac Callum whose Commis-sion reported back within two years –essentially substantiating what the Fish and game clubs were con-cerned about. This also led to some difficult relations with the Feds that prompted the British Govt to cede fish and game management to On-tario .

So the common carp, organized Fish and Game clubs like our OFAH affiliates of today, and Dunnville were prominent in press-ing for the beginning of our modern Conservation (wise use and protec-tion) movement some 111 years ago.

Whether you like or dislike carp (and there are pros and cons on both sides of the argument) it was per-haps the most deliberate and most hyped fish of that day when de-graded and dammed fisheries habi-tats and unchecked exploitation to meet rising population demand and industrialization triggered a politi-cal need for a broad based super fish solution. And it was imple-mented successfully?

As we look at “Green Energy” ini-tiatives that include more dams on more flowing rivers we may again be trading sturgeon walleye and trout habitat for more carp and vegetative wetland monocultures. The same holds for refurbishing obsolete dams and millponds in our Zone and possibly offshore wind farms.

I agree Ron, thats what I love most about carp that sudden 100 yd run you get when they hook up and you nearly loose your rod, best thrill ever

Thanks for posting this. I was always told in the past that they arrived here as a food fish but some large storms in the south flooded the farm areas and the fish escaped or that when farms ran upon financial difficulty they simply released the fish as part of their shut down. It's probably true but Until last year I had no idea there was any intentional stocking.

It is sad however that after all the stocking these fish have earned a reputation of being too polluted to eat. Like lakers and sturgeon they are thought to accumulate more toxins in the bodies so most of us still choose other fish that are more pressured to eat and the carp is now gaining respect as a sport fish. It's definitely time to start harvesting these fish for their intended purpose or that massive stocking effort has been done in vain.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit that I never chased or thought of targeting Carp. Until this year on the fly rod. Back on January 1 it was a resolution to get one on the fly. I had read numerous articles about carp on the fly and thought.... hmm I want one. Things I read were that they're wary, really smart as printed by fly fishing great Ian Colin James ("the smartest of freshwater fishes"), and basically are the perfect fish for a fly fisherman. In one article it said more or less.. if you were to combine qualities of the Bonefish, Redfish, and Jack Crevalle... you have the Carp. I was fortunate to meet my resolution after months of matching the hatch and throwing Woolly Buggers. I thought catching a carp would be a one and done for me... quite the contrary.. I can't wait til spring.

Alex

Archived