sutton area l.simcoe

fredfisher

Well I just got home from a weekend of ice fishing with eleven of my closest friends.We all fished friday and saturday from 8am-4pm on simcoe in the area of virginia beach/sutton.The exact location on the ice was between duclos point and georgina island.A local outfitter supplied us with a ride out in a bombadier and 4 huts.Some guys caught 150 perch over the two days..some caught less than 20.I believe the numbers varied because of skill/technique and size of hooks/bait.Although the fish were hitting minnows the bait of choice was maggots supplied by the outfitter.These maggots were red from food dye.I was one of the guys who caught lots and the best rig was maggot on chartruese tear drop.Action was the diffrence too.No jigging just didn't bring em in.My buddy has flashing little cleos,mepps spinners and monster spoons.This had the attention of many perch in a "theater type setting".He did nail a couple with this technique but it was I that really benefitted from this action.He did hook into a monster pike maybe 15 lbs.Once pike was up to the hole though..pike ran under the ice and snapped his line.This may have been my fault as i was the one trying to grab him.Buddy was running 6lb test..clean break.All in all,great weekend.We cleaned up 50 perca and ate pretty good.Tasty fish man!Most of the fish we caught were dinks but the 50 were pretty nice size and definately table size.It was also nice seeing the C.O's out there checking things out.I hope to rip off another post in a week or two when i return to that area.

FRED

It's good to see there feeding again.It was very slow for a while up there.Do you have any idea of the depth you were fishin?Thanks, SNAG.

sure do SNAG.Day one>40-50 kph outta the n.w-hot hut over 17'water&12"ice..other three 8-12'water.Day two>hot hut 15' water..other three 8-10' water.Different huts each day.Was late on day two cause some guys where hanging from the nite before :deadhorse: .Like i said,lots of dinks with about 10% in keeper range.I won the big fish of the wknd with a 15'ER

FRED

Archived