Navionics?

fishkid

First of all, thank you fellow NFN'ers for your help in getting me my new chartplotter!! :clapping: Humminbird 587ci HD combo. She's a beaut!

I got it yesterday but I opted to not buy a navionics chip for it yet. The reason is I'm a little confused about what chip to get?? The thing is, the main lake I want coverage for is erie but it looks like the gold card is all just for navigation. No contour lines as far as I could tell from their website. Is this true? I like the looks of the Hotmaps and fish'n'chip for all the detail that they give but I only found ones for inland lakes, not erie.

Now I also do go fishing at six mile, balsam, puslinch, etc. which would be nice to have charts for but is there a card that does it all or am I asking too much?

Again, your help here would be appreciated guys! What should I do?! :worthy:

Navionics gold does have the depth contours (bathymetry mapping). As well, when you purchase the navionics gold, you get a mail in rebate for the free "Fish N Chip" which has bottom contouring of the great lakes in 1ft intervals. It's highly detailed, but with no navigational aids. I leave both chips in my two slot hummibird.

Jocelyn Leung (Angling Outfitters) will be at the Muskie Odyssey in St.Catharines on April 9th. He is an expert in setting up and using fishing electronics, he will be doing a presentation on using Sonar/GPS, and he should have a good selection of map cards at great prices...

The gold does have bathymetrics? Well I guess that answers my question! And the fish'n'chip rebate is a bonus. I can't wait to try this thing out on the water! It's just not the same screwing it into a workbench and playing with the features in a computer chair. lol.

I don't think Navionics gives out the fish n chip map anymore. Also, the one they gave out from the way navionics told me , was nothing even comparable to the new fish n chip maps. For the Great Lakes alone (no navigation buoys), if you want the highest detail for contours, the NEW Fish n Chip is the map you want. The Gold covers all great lakes and kawarthas, etc... with nav aids, it also gives you very good coverage of the great lakes but not as much as the fish n chip. If you are going to be fishing Erie/Ontario 90 % of the time, you might want to get the fish/chip (don't be confused with the fish n chip that came with older maps though) and pick up a two year old gold card for around $100 for better coverage of the inland lakes or a premium hot spots (gives you better detail on inland lakes).

If I (i fish erie a lot) was going to buy one, i would get the Gold, I already have my waypoints I fish most of all on Erie, and when I do go to inland lakes, it is very handy having the Navigation aids , especially when I am unfamiliar with the lake.

Like dax said, Joslyn is one of the most knowledgeable guys on electronics, another would be Lawren at Radioworld (albeit he is a guru more for Lowrance), he can help you with map choice. It definitely wouldn't hurt to talk to either if you can make one of the shows (sportsmen,Odyssey)

GL

John

Johnny is dead on with the synopsis. If you have lots of cash, you should get Gold and Fish n Chip cards for GPS units. If you have to choose one or the other, get the Gold Chip. Without navigation information you may not have a boat to take fishing anymore! :o

I bought the Navionics gold last year, and the Fish N Chip that came along with it is VERY detailed. Maybe they're sending the new one now? I don't know.

For the great lakes, I can't see needing anything more than the gold, along with the fish n chip. That's just one guys opinion...

Archived