Carp On Flies

Flyfisher

Has anyone fished for car with a fly rod? I am an avid flyfisherman and am interested in flyfishing for carp. I have read articles on flyfishing for carp and wonder if you guys have ever tried it.

Yep. It's a great tactic and a lot of fun. You can stalk them on the flats or use a nymph under an indicator in rivers. They aren't the easiest to fool into taking your fly. Also, the run like crazy so a good reel, preferable large arbor, and a lot of backing is a must. Also, I'd use a 6wt min, a 8wt or 9wt if the fish are over 20lbs.

Imagine hooking an 18 lbs'er with a 6 wt? HEH

Carp are awesome fish, I've only landed one on my 6 wt and lost a few..

I sight fished for them with Bondar, we chum fed them corn and fooled them with yarn flies!

• 2 weeks later...

I spent most of last summer targeting carp on the fly and it is challenging and a heck of a lot of fun. Here are some smaller carp taken with orangey scud/shrimp flies on a 3wt:

fly1.jpgfly2.jpg

And there's nothing like stalking big carp in the 15-30lb range. They'll have you down to your backing in seconds. I'd definitely recommend sight fishing as the most challenging, thrilling, and satisfying way to chase carp on the fly. Tom Barry is the local guru and I give him full credit for sharing his years of experience to help me hone my presentation and tactics. Here he is with a nice goldfish hybrid:

fly3.jpg

I sell a couple of very good DVDs by Barry Reynolds, the angler who first promoted carp on the fly back in the 80s. His latest, Urban Warfare, is a great introduction to the sport. If you ever want to get together for a session feel free to drop me a PM or contact me through my site.

fly4.jpgfly5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to do this in areas where people feed ducks and the carp cruise the surface, they will take almost anything on top so long as it is presented 3 inches in front of them as they cruise. The fun part is planning the cast in advance and watching the take, thrilling. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might be able to spot and stalk cruising carp in the St. Catharines area?

Archived