Fly Fishing

Flyfisher

Hello all. I have just registered to this site and am an avid fly fisherman. There are plenty of fly fishing opportunities in the niagara region for species such as bass, carp, panfish, trout and salmon. If any of you are into flyfishing or are interested in learning then lets talk.

Hello all. I have just registered to this site and am an avid fly fisherman. There are plenty of fly fishing opportunities in the niagara region for species such as bass, carp, panfish, trout and salmon. If any of you are into flyfishing or are interested in learning then lets talk.

I am interested and have some equipment (Orvis clearwater 9' 6wt rod and Battenkill Large Arbor III - with 2 spools/lines - I bought this stuff a few years ago to try and get into fly fishing LOL)but VERY limited experience. Where do you fish? What do you target? Is my stuff adequate for your type fishing? Send me a PM

FW

I am interested and have some equipment (Orvis clearwater 9' 6wt rod and Battenkill Large Arbor III - with 2 spools/lines - I bought this stuff a few years ago to try and get into fly fishing LOL)but VERY limited experience. Where do you fish? What do you target? Is my stuff adequate for your type fishing? Send me a PM

FW

You have some good equipment there! The 6 wgt is fine for most situations on small to medium water. Personally I prefer 8 or better, but that is a preference. You will probably want to consider something heavier for "big" water.

I'd say your equipment is fine for most species although you'll find it difficult to handle salmonids or carp over 10-12 pounds, especially if they're in a strong current or have room to run.

FW

Your equipment is fine for smallmouth and trout in rivers like the Grand or for sight fishing for smallmouth along lake Erie shore line. It is a great rod to learn on because it is fairly light and if you match it up with a good weight foward floating line, and an intermediate sink tip you will be able to fish a variety of species.The Canadian fly fishing forum is being held at the Holiday Inn in Burlington on April 9th. and 10.They have seminars for beginners and casting instruction.For info go to www.IWFFC.ca.

Dan, you should have said something before. I would have been happy to show you some ropes. What do you have for gear?

I have no gear and don't plan to spend the money on any until I know it is an investment I will enjoy. You should see the nightmare of me trying the center pin :pardon:

I have no gear and don't plan to spend the money on any until I know it is an investment I will enjoy. You should see the nightmare of me trying the center pin :pardon:

I have an extra set-up that rarely gets used. Its a cheap 8 weight and not ideal, but it would do to learn with. I'd be happy to loan it to you and perhaps even spend a few hours going over the basics. Problem is, it will have to be a weekend, and of course we'll soon have lots on our plates come Saturdays.

Just let me know and I'll happily run down and spend an afternoon.

Honestly I said the same thing. I do not have full equipment yet but my roommate bought a fly rod as an impulse buy and never used it. My friend showed me a few things or two. My first time out I seen soo much action. I was having problems setting my hook.(dry flies) But eventually did with a little cutthroat. Almost landed that little bugger on shore til a big ol bull trout ate him. Sorry for the ramble but its something you should invest in, even if its a cheaper brand to get you started until you have a feel for it.

• 6 months later...

[/quote

I am very interested in flyfishing in Niagara. I have just started this year and did a bunch of fishing on the west coast earlier this fall. I would love to know of any small creek locations, or really locations of any kind you may know for trout in the area. Thanks for any info you would have, its really appreciated

Archived