Casting A Line In Queenston

minnow killer

So i've decided that i'm going to go cast a line at the Queenston boat launch tomorrow afternoon. I've got a question, would chuckin spoons do the trick? i've got lots of little cleo's and even more rapala's. Or do i need to get a little more fancy?

May i suggest you take a jaunt upriver my friend, around the corner and roll an 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz white twister along the bottom using a long rod and light line. If you want to chuck the metal, work it slow, best yet, fire a No. 3 Blue Fox up river and hold it in the current feeling that blade pumping.... Niagara rainbows love it! Mind the crappy bank up there, footing et cetera... and please remove your barbs, a simple pinch and those little damaging devils are gone. Even if the fish wins and you lose it, you have had a successful day. I have been barbless for years and it is an awesome feeling, like going commando! Let the record show that yes, I have "lost" slightly more fish (rainbows, smallmouths) but it is less brutal on the fish. Barbs must go!!! Yay for "quick release"!!!

So i've decided that i'm going to go cast a line at the Queenston boat launch tomorrow afternoon. I've got a question, would chuckin spoons do the trick? i've got lots of little cleo's and even more rapala's. Or do i need to get a little more fancy?

Many lure works at the right time and the right moment. One main issue fishing niagara river, Snag galore!

If you try to retrieve your lure too fast, it will surface too soon and fish will not likely take it. By retreiving slow, you might get snag, but that is where the fish are mostly staying close to the bottom. You need heavier spoon or add weight to your spinner baits. 3/4 oz jighead will do the trick as long as it does not get snag.

Depending on water clarity, use bright colors for stained water and use natural color for clear water.

Also,

Let us know how the water is, will you?!

Thanks!!

well i got a report, but not a good one, the busses were cancelled, so the little one didnt go to school, so i didn't have time to stop and fish, but i did take a drive by the river, looks like there's alot of ice floating, i drove along the parkway from victoria up to line 2, lots of ice. well maybe next time.

Archived