Another Smelt Thread

minnow killer

So i went down to the queenston dock after work today to see if there was any smelt action, there was not any to be seen, but the guys comin in with a boat has a mess of browns and rainbows.

Anyone have an idea when to expect the smelts to come in? I missed out on ice smelts so i wanna try some river smelts.

Hey MK, I was down there today as well. Between 4 and 5 PM. I snagged an old net that must have been in the river since last year. It had a half a dozen lures stuck in it but I was still able to get it out with my 8 lb. test. I put it in the trash barrel along with a bunch of Timmies cups and roe bags with hooks in them. Oh yea.....no sign of Smelts :rolleyes: ............Boog

Anyone have any luck down in Port Dalhousie last year? I used to go there for smelt with my Dad years ago but I have not been since. I want to take my kids smelting this year but I am not sure the crowded Queenston thing is the right venue for that? Lots of room along the wall at Port...but any smelt?

How shallow of water can you net smelt in. The place I used go as a kid was about 4 feet deep off the edge of a rock shelf. It is no longer accessible. I know another spot near by that would be 2-3 feet deep. Do you think there might be a chance of getting smelts that shallow?

• 2 weeks later...

I was down queenston today castin a line, and then it happened, the first mini van arrived, and they set up their gear, then 2 more showed, and another.

there was birds catchin minnows and smelts out by the middle, and the odd dead smelt would float by with the current, they are on people, i'm pretty sure of it. cause i have to leave town for work, and couldnt stay to get smelted. Hope they are still there friday afternoon when i get back.

Hey MK, I was down there today as well. Between 4 and 5 PM. I snagged an old net that must have been in the river since last year. It had a half a dozen lures stuck in it but I was still able to get it out with my 8 lb. test. I put it in the trash barrel along with a bunch of Timmies cups and roe bags with hooks in them. Oh yea.....no sign of Smelts :rolleyes: ............Boog

Good man!!!!!

Archived