Niagara & Port Dalhousie drift rig

Guest Achilles

Guest Achilles

I was at a local tackle shop earlier today talking to Pat ( store owner ) about how to rig up to drift fish the Niagara and Port Dalhousie. He suggested at I post on this board asking you guys what you use for drift rigs. I need to ask you several questions, if I may.

1) strength of your main line

2) how much weight do you use

3) use a three way or barrel swivel

4) if you use a dropper line what length

5) length and strength of your leader

6) size of hook and what type

My present set up is a Abu Garcia 5500 reel and a Loomis GL2 STR 1265c rod rated for 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz. and 10 to 20 lb. line. My main line is 10 Sufix attach to barrel swivel then a 2-3 foot 8 lb. flo. carbon leader then a Owner or Daichii 4-2 hook. Above the barrel swivel is plastic bead and a sliding snap/swivel that I attach a 1-1 1/2 slinkie or pencil leader. I don't use any dropper line. Just attach the weight directly to the snap.

My problem is that with this rig I can feel the bottom but I snag up too much. If I go with a lighter weight say 1/2 or 3/4 oz. I can barely feel the bottom with my rod.

Do you suggest a entirely different rig or just get a lighter and more sensitive rod. Like a rod rated for 6-12 line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz. for example. If someone can suggest a better rod, please do. Brand name and action if you can.

Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing from your responses. Any suggestion welcome.

1) strength of your main line......i use 8lb fireline..in winter im using8lb mx40 mono line so it doesnt freeze

2) how much weight do you use......you need enough weight to feel bottom through the drift if yos snag up all the time cut some of it off...i use pencile weights.if you go to peters tackle in st kitts the fattones for in portD and the thin ones in queenston

3) use a three way or barrel swivel use a 3way with a dropline...this way f snagged you mite only loose the weight

4) if you use a dropper line what length around 4 to 6 inches

5) length and strength of your leader..from 4 to 6 feet i alwaws use 8lb mono it will break before the mainline check it often for nickes

6) size of hook and what type..well i use and make my own streemers i use #6 hooks

little smaller if using egg hooks

also i use a 10'6" rod spinning reel this works well can feel even light bites with it

if you need more help we can go out to queenston together and ill show you ...

I was at a local tackle shop earlier today talking to Pat ( store owner ) about how to rig up to drift fish the Niagara and Port Dalhousie. He suggested at I post on this board asking you guys what you use for drift rigs. I need to ask you several questions, if I may.

10-12 pound maxima ultragreen good mainline sufix may be thinner but maxima is a bit tougher

depending on current usually 3/4 - 1 ounce is good but trim as necessary

three way if your running dropper  barrel if your running mojo or egg sinker

depending on how far you want to be off bottom roughly 2 - 12 inches  should use a corky on the hook section to avoid some snags and also attract fish

raven invisible 5.6 6.8 or 8.4  very very strong and durable awesome stuff

gammy octopus #2 6 or 8  also kamasan B980 #4 6 or 8 depending on bait obviously

Thats just a general idea of what I would use if I was bottom fishing but personally I prefer to drift a float.  If you are ever in fort erie drop by the shop and I can show you how to rig up it's to hard to explain in detail without lots of typing and maybe a diagram or two.  Hope it helps  :)

My Webpage

My present set up is a Abu Garcia 5500 reel and a Loomis GL2 STR 1265c rod rated for 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz. and 10 to 20 lb. line. My main line is 10 Sufix attach to barrel swivel then a 2-3 foot 8 lb.  flo. carbon leader then a Owner or Daichii 4-2 hook. Above the barrel swivel is plastic bead and a sliding snap/swivel that I attach a 1-1 1/2 slinkie or pencil leader. I don't use any dropper line. Just attach the weight directly to the snap.

My problem is that with this rig I can feel the bottom but I snag up too much. If I go with a lighter weight say 1/2 or 3/4 oz. I can barely feel the bottom with my rod.

Do you suggest a entirely different rig or just get a lighter and more sensitive rod. Like a rod rated for 6-12 line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz. for example. If someone can suggest a better rod, please do. Brand name and action if you can.

Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing from your responses. Any suggestion welcome.

1078[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Achilles

My present set up is a Abu Garcia 5500 reel and a Loomis GL2 STR 1265c rod rated for 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz. and 10 to 20 lb. line. My main line is 10 Sufix attach to barrel swivel then a 2-3 foot 8 lb.  flo. carbon leader then a Owner or Daichii 4-2 hook. Above the barrel swivel is plastic bead and a sliding snap/swivel that I attach a 1-1 1/2 slinkie or pencil leader. I don't use any dropper line. Just attach the weight directly to the snap.

1078[/snapback]

Guest Steelheader

Achilles -

I don't know much about salmon fishing except what I've been researching over the last couple of months.

But I understand that if you're fishing for salmon you'll want a heftier rod than if you were fishing for steelhead. Salmon are stronger, bigger, and the currents you'll be fighting, especially on the NIagara, will require a rod with some balls to horse those fish out of the main current. Plus your baits are normally bigger...big spoons, etc. If you've ever been down to the Niagara gorge, you'll see what I mean - Imagine trying to subdue a 20lb king in Devil's Hole with 8lb test and a light 10' noodle rod. Guys I've talked to say you should have a med-heavy action 9' plus rod and baitcast reel with a minimum of 14lb test on the Niagara, and 8lb min at Port.

Steelhead are another matter. Light tackle is the norm, 10-15' light-med rods, spinning reels, and 6-8lb mono. Your rig might vary depending on water size, current, and clarity, but it's a different rig than for salmon.

Again, I'm not an expert on salmon - just relaying what others have told me. If anyone else has better advice it would be welcomed.

Good luck!

well i catch both salmon and steel head with the same setup from shore ..i have landed 20+lb salmon with my 10'6" noodle rod witn 8lb test and 21lb browns its knowing how to use you equip ....at the same time ive had small 5 or 6lb break me off

Guest Steelheader
well i catch both salmon and steel head with the same setup  from shore ..i have landed 20+lb salmon with my 10'6" noodle rod witn 8lb test and  21lb browns  its knowing how to use you equip ....at the same time ive had small 5 or 6lb break me off

1403[/snapback]

Is that in the Niagara River or in Port?

I have a 12' and 13' med/med-light rod, but I've heard I should have something stiffer for the Niagara for salmon.

Hey Achilles...........If you want to feel bottom and those light hits..........try 20 lbs fireline, barrel swivel, about 2ft leader of 10 to 12 mono............from there you can put on a swivel to cast spoons or tie on a treble and cast skien........ make sure you put your splitshots on the mono..........and you'll be able to break off when you get snagged up..........never seem to lose my barrel swivel........your fireline will last all fall without replacing it.............when you get a salmon on a spinning reel with braid line HOLY MOLLY hang on because its all there..........If you try this and your new to braided line make sure you keep a bit of mono on your reel (10 t0 15 ft) when it's freezing out your braid will spin on the spool...........20 lbs test seems like alot but it puts up with those big whirlpool rocks.........anyways :lol:;):P .........It's worth a try.................JHM.......

Guest Achilles

Hi jhm - thanks for your response. Yes I have use braided line ( Tuff Line, Power Pro) and 2-3 foot flo. carbon leader. Works good but is not the ultimate solution I'm looking for.

Guest Achilles

Hi Steelheader - Sorry for not be more specific in my post. I will be using the rod for steelhead fishing. I agree with you that a salmon rod needs to have more beef that a steelhead reel.

I also agree with Full of Gas that salmon can be caught on steelhead equipment. But if I were to target salmon in the Niagara River I would personally use a stronger outfit.

Making my choice harder is that I will be using the rod with a levelwind reel. There aren't many rods that are long, light and sensitive and made for levelwind reels. I may end up going to a custom rod.

Thanks for all your help guys. Will have to keep looking. :D:Gonefishing:

Hi Steelheader - Sorry for not be more specific in my post. I will be using the rod for steelhead fishing. I agree with you that a salmon rod needs to have more beef that a steelhead reel.

I also agree with Full of Gas that salmon can be caught on steelhead equipment. But if I were to  target salmon in the Niagara River I would personally use a stronger outfit.

Making my choice harder is that I will be using the rod with a levelwind reel. There aren't many rods that are long, light and sensitive and made for levelwind reels. I may end up going to a custom rod.

Thanks for all your help guys. Will have to keep looking. :D  :Gonefishing:

1460[/snapback]

Achilles

I just got a couple raven rods custom tied for the niagara they are 11 footers they combo up real nice with a levelwind you should stop by and check them out.

Archived