Installing A Fish Finder.

Dogman

Got a really good deal on a Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 160. Not the best unit but it should work well in the yak. Since I don't see one I'll put up a lot of pics on how I install it.

I spent most of the afternoon building a removable mount for the display. I need to pick up another Scotty mount and do some wiring. My wife took the camera with her today so no pics at the moment, tomorrow hopefully.

I bottom out regularly so an outside transducer won't work. I asked a kayak charter guy at the Niagara Outdoor show about a rig to lower it once I'm in the water and he told me not to bother. He said my plastic haul was no match for a transducer as long as it was epoxied over or covered with a marine gelly. The trick is to get it mounted without any air bubbles. So I tried it and nada. Scraped off all the goo and before trying it again I thought of something else.

All I did was cut the top & bottom off an empty sauce can and use marine caulking (which you can buy regular caulking tubes of for your caulking gun) and sealed in the can behind my seat. Before I launch I use a readily available coffee cup to fill the can with water and drop in the transducer. Works like a charm and there's no wire or rig creating drag on the outside of my kayak. No extra bulk at all. The only extra weight is a can of water :)

Here is a pic of the display mount.

hummingbirdmount.jpg

It fits into a scotty rod holder base for easy installation and removal. The transducer will be mounted on a swingable arm on the rear of the boat. I thought about mounting it inside the hull but you lose the ability to check water temp.

Here is a pic with it in a holder. I haven't mounted the other holder yet it will go just above the cup holder.

mounted.jpg

Did you have to order it or could you find one locally?

I ordered mine from Peters Tackel dude and it's very easy to instal to. If you look on You-Tube under Kayak fishfinder installing you'll see how easy it is, they install it in a Trident. I've heard marine goop works well on other kayak fishing forums but I thought this would be a sure thing and it does work good!

I've watched the video. I almost bought the kayak kit that hummingbird has, but it is just too expensive. I still think I want to mount the transducer outside the hull, but if the mount is cheap it would save a lot of work. I have to wait on ta dry box for my battery anyhow.

Archived