Downrigging From A Kayak?

miller

anyone try this yet? ive seen a few manual riggers that aren't too heavy and seem managable. i was just wondering if anyone has given it a shot and has feedback on it. things such as the drag and how much it effects steering and what not. possibly condsidering picking one up eventually.

I use jet divers no problem. tried up to a 40 120 feet back and dragged bottom 60 feet down. If you can install rod holders on either side of the yak to balance out and just leave one back less than the other it will reduce tangles but I tried the offshore planers and it was a mess. Especially in the big waves :crazy:

haha thanks for the ideas guys. i actually ended up running into a guy at grimsby tackle today who gave me alot of good advice and he was actually picking up a mounting plate for his. with a short 10' yak it would most likely cause alot of drag and create a challenge tracking straight and he suggested something longer like 15' for things of that sort. i might end up trying out the mini dipsys or the jet divers

Scotty & Cannon make mini-riggers for paddle craft, but they take a weight that is so small (4lb) with so much blowback you can't reach 60' feet.

Where are you using it? I'm assuming you're looking at trolling for salmon and not for cottage country lakers. The downrigging season for Kings is pretty much over, right now you can troll deep diving bass crankbaits infront of Dalhousie between the pierheads and 60FOW and pick up more salmon than a downrigging power troller. Use the strength of a paddle craft, stealth, on the shallow spooky salmon that stinkboats can't go after.

Taildancers, Livetarget Smelt, Wally Divers, any deep diving wobbling crankbait.

If you're looking for next season, your main enemy in a kayak is drag. The lowest drag downrigging alternative, Torpedo Divers.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/

Archived