Comin' From Outta Town

The_Husky_Jerk

Hey guys,

Im coming from Brantford Thursday evening/night to do some shore fishing. I have to say this fish forum is awesome, and now I want to fish the niagara region!

My question is:

If im coming down the QEW (after driving 2 hours) where is my best spot to stop? Would it be Port D? or the welland canal? or should I keep going right to the Niagara? I really wanted to go to Fort Erie, but its quite a drive for me. Would it be worth it? Or would stopping at Port D or the welland canal be just as good?

Any input is helpful, please!

:thx:

Port D is heating up for the perch fishing, but cooling down for the salmon. It really depends on what kind of fish you are looking for. It's only 20 more mins to Ft. Erie. past St. Catharines. What time are you getting in? I'd be happy to show you a few places. Port D is generally a good bet if you are looking to just catch fish. You may not get dinner but you'll probably catch something.

well you can't fish the welland canal, port d would be close and pretty much any spot works, but the end or where you spot a current break is best.

went to port credit/bornte on saturday with two of my buddys we ended up goin 4 for 8 the biggest being 22lbs. i will post some pics of them went i get my buddys camera from him. in the morning when we got there we seen aleast 20 or 30 come through the two nice holes we were fishing. we are hopeing to go back up this weekend if i do i'll post how we do.

I would suggest going to the Whirlpool. You never specified what you wanted to fish for. However, the salmon should be in (confirmation please) and the smallies will be on the feed for sure. There is a good mixed bag of fish down there, big drum, carp, cats, musky, lakers (check regs for open season) steelies and suckers...and they are all pretty big. Worms, tubes, in-line spinners and spoons all work pretty well. Extremely fast water, heavier weights will be an asset to get down where the fish are. If you do go down there, please be aware of the conditions. The water will start coming up around 7ish and comes up quick. Don't get stranded on a rock, cause the water doesn't go down again until late at night. While the water is low, the rocks are like ice because of the algae and silt. Bring a few extra rods and lots of extra line. A big salmon that gets in the current can spool you pretty damn quick and can burn out your reel on lesser quality gear.

By the way, way does it take you 2 hours from Brantford...are you on an E-Bike? LOL

PM me if you need any other info.

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

hahahaha no, no e-bike. lol. Google maps is telling me to get to fort erie, it would be close to 2 hours. I would definitely love to hook into some salmon or steelies. I'll be going in the evening, so im pretty sure i wont want to make the hike back to the car in the dark if im down at the whirlpool. If i remember correctly its no short jaunt.

The walk out of the whirlpool is tough at the best of times. In the dark it is down right treacherous. I don't think it will take that long to get to Ft. Erie. I had training up in Brantford a few months ago and I think it was like 1hr 10 mins or something. Make sure you take the Linc and not the 403 all the way. Takes you way around Hamilton when you can go straight through.

are the walleye at night accessible from shore, or is a boat needed? it seems awfully shallow along the break wall between the fort and peace bridge.

That's why we use shallow diving long A bombers and stuff and reel very slow for walleye. In the Ottawa river the aboriginals wade knee deep with spotlights and spear them in the shallows at night. They are in shallow and i have had them hit in a foot of water just before pulling my lure out for the next cast.

If you want steelies bring waders to get deeper or stick to the few deeper ruts and pools near shore.

Well, I made it down thursday night. Boy was that a bad idea!! The wind was strong, the waves were strong, making it one awful evening of fishing. Fished for salmon or steelies under the peace bridge until 8pm chucking spoons. After taking a break from the rain we went down to the old fort to try our luck on some walleye. The wind was so bad we could barely cast. Not to mention we could only get a few feet in with our waders as we were getting smashed with some nasty waves. After every retrieve we were pulling what seemed to be pounds of seaweed off our lures.... frustrating!!! And for the worst part.... A friend of mine was fishing whitemans creek outside of Paris, which is my go-to fishing spot in our area. While we were getting skunked, he landed 2 steelhead!!!! :wall:

GOTTA LOVE FISHING!! :Gonefishing:

Archived