Taking The Kids Fer Some Fishing This Weekend

midas69er

Hello,

I am fairly new to the site, just been poking around. I fished for pearch and rock bass as a kid but am otherwise very green to fishing, however I have two young sons and want to get out and do stuff with them. I bought a starter boat, got a lil gear so far. But before I get to far what are the esencials I need to catch fish in the Niagara River and lake erie? I live in fort Erie and will most likely want to stay close to home. For example whats more important the best rod or a depth finder? What are the best luers and such to start to build my takle box for the fish in the area. I just don't want to start throwning money around for no reason, and I want to show the boys dad can catch a fish, lol. Do I need a trolling motor or is that something to wait for? Also are the fish finders with a gps really worth it? What is the best way to put a minnow on your hook?

A good fish finder is definitely an important part of fishing anywhere in order to identify structure. If it's in the budget a unit with GPS is definetly worth the money. I would spend the money on that rather then expensive gear as just about any rod can catch fish. As you get more into it you will want to specialize your gear depending what species you want to target. If I had to have just one rod a 7' medium power or medium heavy power spinning rod would be my choice.

A couple spinners, a couple swim jigs and football head jigs, a floating and a sinking Rapala, a selection of weights and hooks and a trolling spoon are a good place to start without breaking the bank.

Without knowing more about your boat it's difficult to say how much you would benefit from a trolling motor. If we are talking about a small aluminum with say a 9.9 hp then it wouldn't be necessary. If it's a larger motor that would be difficult to throttle down to trolling speed then there would be some benefit, with that being said even with a large motor initially I think it would serve you better to invest in a small kicker motor. The kicker motor would allow you to troll and adds safety which is important especially in the upper river for obvious reasons. Trolling motors are nice for getting in and out of tight/shallow places, however contrary to their name most people don't generally use them for trolling. In the river I find I use mine primarily to correct my boat position as I drift same goes when I'm anchored and let's face it, it's nice to right your boat position with the turn of a handle or press of the foot depending on the type of trolling motor, but truth is you could do the same with a paddle. I would say definitely wait on the trolling motor until you have a better feel for the type of fishing you want to concentrate on. For example if you decide you are a Bass finatic, you definitely need one.

You can put a minnow on a hook either through the lip or the back. There is a book called "Fishing for Dummies", it's a quick read and will help you with your descisions.

A word of caution regarding Lake Erie:

Lake Erie can turn ugly in minutes and being the shallowest of the Great Lakes, you get crazy swells. Small boats aren't ideal in that lake, or any large lake for that matter. In the end it comes down to safe boating and the experience of the boater knowing himself, his craft and the waters. I have a 14' fiberglass run about with a 40hp motor. Both the boat and motor are older then me (without giving away my age, let's just say it's older then forty, lol). Anytime I put in at Erie or Ontario it's on a calm day with calm water and a low risk weather forecast, even then I don't venture too far from the launch.

Hope this helped. Good luck and you picked a great way to spend time with your kids

Thanks Cheif, thats a some great direction. I have a 15.5 fibreglass bowrider, not a deep hull, 1986 with a 50 merc 1987. Was my Dads boat from new, so I have a lot of experience on the lake and river here, I have been caught at the end of point abino in one of those from no where 14' swell storms I always try to be as safe as I can, but thanks for sure, one can never take this lake for granted. My Dad wasn't one for fishing though so it wasn't something we did much. Sounds like I am on the right track with the luers, just need some of those spinners. I can trool with my motor, just wasn't sure if the electiric motor would score me more fish, for some reason? Anymore advise would be great, I am considering the GPS fishinder on the items for sale list of the website.

Archived