Fly Fishing Line

The_Husky_Jerk

Hey Guys,

Just bought an 8wt fly combo. The guy threw in some cheap $15 floating fly line. Now I know that this is not the "ideal" fly line to be using for steelhead fishing.. but it was free, so why not? haha

My question is:

What type of fly line is best when steelhead fishing? Or does it matter more on what type of flies your presenting? Why is there so many different kinds at such a wide price range? What are the different uses? :pardon:

Hopefully some of you fly guys can help out an amateur!!

Thanks

Cheers

Hey Guys,

Just bought an 8wt fly combo. The guy threw in some cheap $15 floating fly line. Now I know that this is not the "ideal" fly line to be using for steelhead fishing.. but it was free, so why not? haha

My question is:

What type of fly line is best when steelhead fishing? Or does it matter more on what type of flies your presenting? Why is there so many different kinds at such a wide price range? What are the different uses? :pardon:

Hopefully some of you fly guys can help out an amateur!!

Thanks

Cheers

Go for a drive across to Oak Orchard fly shop in Williamsville, ask for Chris Garcia aka "coach". He doesn't work there, but always hangs around and ties for them. He'll help you set up for various situations, which lines are best, sink tips, etc...

I baught a shark skin steelhead taper line in the spring and it also worked great for smallies and carp. 2 draw backs are that it is textured ,so if you are fighting alot of fish it ends up wearing through your skin! I ended up putting a bandaid on around the tips of my index and middle fingers @ my knuckle to stop it from burning through. The other thing is that Sharkskin puts you back atleast $100. When I did switch I was amazed @ how much my casting and line control improved. When I want to fish deeper I use a sink tip loop to loop or just a longer tipett with a heavy fly.

I would scrap that line and go buy good line.

Line makes or breaks your enjoyment in fly fishing. If you start out with crappy line you can get discouraged because things aren't going the way they should.

I put $80 line on my $20 reel and $20 rod and it made it feel like a million bucks.

it all depends on what style of fly you are fishing, I like sink tip for nymph fishing and floating for dry flys

One thing to consider is that you buy a cold water line. Steelhead lines have different cores so that they stay more supple in cold water.

For just about all applications I would get WF (Weight Forward) line. This will allow you to easily cast streamers, sink tips, or put on an indicator (bobber) and nymph fish. If you want to just swing flies then you can look at the single hand spey lines and shooting heads available. If you're just starting out a WF line will be just fine. Match the line weight to the rod, so in your case an 8wt. Also, buy a brand that is known to be good... Rio, Scientific Anglers, Airflo are a few good brands. But as others have said. Go to any fly shop and someone there will hook you up.

Archived