Grand River Walleye

The_Husky_Jerk

Heading out this week to the Caledonia dam for some Grand River walleye. Never been too much of a walleye (pickerel... or whatever the recent thread decided they were called :roflblack: ) fisherman. But, I do know that they are damn tasty. Does anyone out there have any advice to offer for tackle? I was planning on bringing inline spinners, grubs on a jig, and maybe even trying out some Rapala Floating Minnows.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

I've had luck using Gulp 5" leeches and 4" minnows in black and black shad respectively on a jig or 3 way rig. Try crankbaits as well, they will get a little deeper and you can run it through the wash out right under the damn. They tend to snag up so I would recomend using heavy tackle and line so you can pull them free with a fair amount of ease. Bring extra treble hooks because you may straighten out a few. The last time I was down the water was really high. If memory serves, I was using 10-12' diver (could,ve been deeper, so bring a few different divers) and it was hitting bottom here and there...and caught a few trees that were submerged. Keep an eye out for Rainbows and browns while you're there, there should be a few still around.

PS - Worms are always fun down there if you can find them. Never know what you'll pull out of the Grand under the dam!

Looking to get the boat out one last time, any reports of fish being caught above the dam ? Thanks

Harrison's Landing is all locked up for the season. Gate is still open at LaFortune but that's a pretty poor launch at the best of times.

You can make do if your boat isn't too big and if you don't mind getting your feet wet. In order to get her out, I have to wade in to get to my winch.

Docks are out at Cayuga and Dunnville as well but you can still get your boat in the water.

Archived