Cold Gold

iCarp

Anyone familiar with scenic Hamilton-on-the-Lake knows just what a miracle it would be to haul carp up to the high 20s out of the Bay in the middle of December. But that is exactly what local carpers have been doing.

Having heard a number of great catch reports this month, I headed out yesterday to have a go and see if the legendary iCarp luck would work in the cold. (It didn't, thankfully- I actually caught fish and didn't fall in the Bay).

When I arrived it was calm and sunny- almost tropical in a cold Canadian December sort of way with the temp at least 6° on the Celsius scale. By the time I had made my way out to the point and gotten settled in, the wind was whipping up whitecaps and grey clouds scudded across the sky. 'Here, fishy...' I chattered through frosty lips.

Within twenty minutes the first fish was on- a cute little slab of cold gold:

sjc1.jpg

It wasn't much of a scrapper, but I was ridiculously happy just to be catching a carp from the Bay in mid-December.

Another twenty minutes or so passed and then I started to get beeps. Liners I assumed. And then there was one long beeeeep. Oh joy! And shortly afterwards one very puzzled carpsicle just over 17lb kissed the net:

sjc2.jpg

Unhooking and photographing my catch was a delightful challenge thanks to the wind and the rocks . The wind was wrestling with my unhooking mat and CWCL ticket, whilst the carp and gravity were battling it out on the flattish, but actually tilted rock where I had set up camp. After some fumbling and with very cold fingers, I got the tasks done and the carp released. At this point the mat blew across the rock and attached itself to my bum with a velcro strap. So I sat on it, which was much more comfortable than lounging on the cold hard rock with just my cold hard butt. The mat's padding was definitely an improvement.

Out went another cast. Down, down, down my method feeder sank. And within a minute or so I was into my third, and largest fish:

sjc3.jpg

I continued to tough it out for the better part of an hour with nothing to show for it but red and rough cheeks from the wind. But at least I could enjoy the view as the time drifted past:

view1.jpg

Oops, wrong photo. Not that view, this view:

view2.jpg

Looking to the left was definitely a prettier sight than to the right.

I suspect that I lucked into a group of carp passing through the neighbourhood. Initially, there were lots of liners and three fish in fairly quick order. This was followed by absolutely nothing for too long. I also suspect that some of the liners were actually carp lightly sampling the hookbait. If I had set on these I think I might have had more fish. Further frosty research is called for.

All fish were caught on Monster Maize. I fished it with a flat feeder packed full of my favourite slightly fermented method mix and added a liberal spray of Mintzilla Monster Mist bait spray. My trusty Daiwa Infinity rod and TLX reel forgave me for ignoring them for the past year or so (I have been wed to my fly and float rods for carp for at least that long). All in all, it was a great way to spend a December afternoon.

Originally, I was supposed to meet up with Tony Benham, author of Carp Fishing in Canada, at the Carp Cave yesterday. Sadly, he had to cancel and that left me with some free time to chase carpsicles. So, thank you very much Tony.

view3.jpg

GREAT REPORT and PICs!

Thanks so much for the Hamilton Carp Update.

Nice to see you guys still slammin them in Mid Dec.

Never say never, but most likely ... I'll be into the Carp (again) come spring time.

Just love to get those Reel Spoolers.

Thanks

Awesome post and pictures! Congradulations on the december carp..... I got Tony Benhams book for my birthday in October.......fabulous book! Going to try and make it up to your store after christmas sometime......

• 2 weeks later...

Archived