Customizing The Yak Questions

Gnfshn

Scotty makes the best accessories for kayaks, and they are available at most tackle shops and marine dealers.

A good FF is one with a narrow profile, transducer that suits the depths you fish, and don't buy colour screen(draws too much power).  The small gel cell batteries can be bought at any marine dealer.

I like Garmins because they are top of the pile for just a bit more money than Humminbirds.  Can't go wrong with a Humminbird Piranha 170 for the price though and it is a dual beam transducer.

You can get a lot of info from www.yakfisher.net (ontario based)

best place for parts was internet (and american mailing address) i got a bunch of little plastic odds-and-ends like clips and loop-anchors (white and black - to match any decor) since i couldn't find what i was looking for at any of the marine stores down by the harbour and certainly nothing as cheap either. the in-deck rod holders ($5 per) in-store at cabelas which mounted easily and an inexpensive little scotty holder (in-store cabelas sale too) which i am too lazy to mount yet since haven't needed it.

still working on an anchor system and/or anchor pole but have the misc hardware on hand now.

Definitely lots of cheap stuff on the net as Ola said but it is just that, cheap. If you are serious about yakfishing and don't spend the money for decent gear upfront, you will pay for it after. Same goes for buying a kayak. This is why it is better to buy good used products until you know what suits you best. Resale value on all this stuff is very good because of the rise in popularity.

On the other hand, if you are just in it for recreation then just go cheap as possible.

sheeeesh. let me rephrase myself then, river guide, by 'cheap' i meant 'inexpensive' as in 'more reasonably priced than what you find in fancy outfitter stores' and 'reasonably priced from kayak specialized internet stores who deal in volume due to their specialization'. face it, river guide, you can't walk into canadian tire and find a full selection of kayak 'pimping' stuff - you can find some in marine stores but since they deal in such a small market share they can't possibly match the pricing of american-based specialized kayak internet sellers for accessories.

when you suggest buying good used products surely you are not suggesting looking for used odds-and-ends like a used bungee keeper clip for paddle holder? or a used rope cleat?

Thanks to all for input.

I did find really good clips, rings, rivets and other bits online with good delivery and price. Too bad local shops are missing an opportunity. I would think there is enough interest plus growth potential to set up a yak "pimping" department.

I look forward to the spring to put it all together.

Thanks again.

Nah Ola, I was talking about stuff specific to kayak fishing not paddling. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way. I meant like mounts, holders, extenders, seat upgrades and whatnot. Canadian Tire usually does have a good selection of Scotty products though.

Just a few notes from my end:

I use a pirahnamax 160 and it suits my needs very well. Have it mounted using a mad frog gear sideboard which mounts directly to the slidetrax system on my tarpon kayak

DSCN2218.jpg

I have the depth finder powered by 8 rechargeable AA batteries using a battery holder and 9v quick snap inside of a waterproof tupperware container. where the wire enters the inside of the box is sealed with marine goop.

DSCN2226.jpg

DSCN2227.jpg

Telephone cords from the dollar store, carabiners and dog leashes can be combined to create inexpensive paddle leashes.

DSCN2224.jpg

I also made a simple anchor trolley using some o-rings and marine rope and running it from stern handle to bow handle.

DSCN2220.jpg

I tend to put my rods down in the cockpit with me as I paddle so modified a berkley rod rock to hold the rods in place.

DSCN2216.jpg

Thanks to all for input.

I did find really good clips, rings, rivets and other bits online with good delivery and price. Too bad local shops are missing an opportunity. I would think there is enough interest plus growth potential to set up a yak "pimping" department.

I look forward to the spring to put it all together.

Thanks again.

yeah, i did ask the good folks at mec why they don't have the little clips and stuff along with the other knick-knacks and buckles they sell and the guys was worried about not selling quantity but i did point out they don't go stale so could sit for a while buthe figured it wasn't worth it. so, once again, canadians have to go cross-border for stuff. and don't even get me started about canada post vs. usps cause it's embarrassing. my daughter in michigan gets delivery 6 days a week, cross country in a day or two for a fraction of canada post costs.

and phranchise, i am way to lazy to rig up recoiling leashes. i just knot loops in elastic cording for paddle and rod leashes. (and i am even cheaper in that the cording is usually 'reclaimed' from inside old tent poles and from old jacket drawstrings and such. whatever you make, it sure beats paying $15 for a commercial leash.

Archived