Underwater Cameras, Do You Find They Help?

fafaflohi

Guest live2fish85

Just remember it all depends on the water conditions to if you are using it to find fish there are better routes.

As Meppsman said for ice fishing Flashers are best they cost more or you can even use fish fishfinders which can be found for the same as cameras. Also alot of peope tend to jump the gun when using a camera.

the camera is great for ice fishing especially with kids. it is like a real live video game and watching the behaviour of the fish is very interesting, and a tad bit frustrating too.

have yet to use mine in summer but tempted and one year will take it out in the canoe with us at our trusty favourite northern lake just out of sheer curiosity mind you, summer algae will probably play havoc with the viewing.

The 2 best applications for the aqua view style cameras are ice fishing and from a downrigger cable in my opinion. With no alga bloom, and a frozen surface to minimize wave action and the resulting stirring of silt, it is ideal for ice action. Watching baits off a downrigger cable produces an interesting and sometimes exasperating look at how many fish view your offerings and turn away. Beyond that, you don't get a whole lot of good stuff.

I've done underwater videography for over a decade. If you want to obtain good shots boatside, or check out steelhead in a clear tributary stream, I'm very impressed with the HD hero and the underwater corrective housing. I've had numerous underwater rigs over the years, all had their good and bad points. I'll post a link to a musky vid I filmed with my old sony on a new thread as not to hijack. You can see some of my newer HD footage on Dave Mercer's "Facts of Fishing"

I have the Aqua-Vu Explorer 5 and have found it very useful. Pop it down the hole and check for structure, weed beds, ect. It was also useful @ Ramey's bend fishing for smelts, drop it down the hole, turn on the lights and watch them come in. The only negative is that it's hard to see the display in bright conditions. I'm thinking about upgrading to a color model so if you're looking for a cheap camera to try out, I'll sell mine for $100 (needs a new battery $30 @ The Source)

Archived