Baitrunner Reels

Frank81

I've been looking for a new reel for my new 9 foot Ugly Stick, and I have been leaning towards a baitrunner reel or something similar that has a rear drag and can spool 15lb plus line. Problem is I cannot find one for under $140.00, I would rather not spend that much, so am I SOL or is there a good carp/catfish reel that I can get for around the $40.00 price range?

Frank . The Diawa Regal BRI Plus is a decent reel for the money. They are about $80, if memory serves me right. The 3500 should be the right size for a 9 ft. rod. A carp reel for $40 , well you get what you pay for.

But then you could go with a baitcaster rod and reel . Available just about everywhere . About $150 all together and then you don't have to buy a bite alarm or all that other stuff that the Euro style carpers find so necessary. :D

Thanks everyone for you're input. :thx:

Frank . The Diawa Regal BRI Plus is a decent reel for the money. They are about $80, if memory serves me right. The 3500 should be the right size for a 9 ft. rod. A carp reel for $40 , well you get what you pay for.

I've never spent more than $40.00 on a reel in my life, I am a frugal fisherman haha

However I am considering that Diawa Regal BRI Plus, but I was on the New World Carp website and was considering the Jaxon Amado AXL Reel, it says it's a best seller and it's a little cheaper than some of the $682.00 reels :huh::D

Thanks everyone for you're input. :thx:

I've never spent more than $40.00 on a reel in my life, I am a frugal fisherman haha

However I am considering that Diawa Regal BRI Plus, but I was on the New World Carp website and was considering the Jaxon Amado AXL Reel, it says it's a best seller and it's a little cheaper than some of the $682.00 reels :huh::D

Yup. A might bit cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

But then you could go with a baitcaster rod and reel . Available just about everywhere . About $150 all together and then you don't have to buy a bite alarm or all that other stuff that the Euro style carpers find so necessary. :D

Exactly, too often we base our carp fishing tackle on what the Euro's use. They have not embraced the baitcaster like people on this side of the Atlantic have, heck a lot of times they even call a baitcaster a revolving spool reel :nea: and tend to use outsize spinning reels for a lot of applications were to us it would make more sense to use a baitcaster, lot lighter reel for equal line capacity. You have a baitcaster with a good strong and loud clicker??? put it freespool with the clicker on while waiting for a pickup. :clapping:

I have to agree that the baicater is popular across the pond - BUT - Your casting distance is very limited to a spinning set up or a large spool big pit reel. I use a baitcast set up at some of my spots where long casts are not needed. For example a baitcaster is ideal for those peir situations in Hamilton, but I wouldn't recommend it for those long casts needed at Inland.

If your gonna go with a baitcaster, a bass reel is a no go. I personally love the Abu C4 line of reels. They have large line capacity, cast swmoothly/easily, strong/smooth drag and it has a on-off clicker.

The nice thing about the baicater is the rod set up. hammercarp will agree with this one: An 7' Ugly Stick.

Daniel Big pits are surf casting reels so of course they are suited to long casts. They also cost a lot. Almost all of the time you don't need to cast that far for carp. You mentioned Inland. I have caught lots of carp there less than 10 yards from shore and even at 2 yards from shore. A lot of fishing for carp at long distances is done simply because the angler can cast a long way, not because they have to.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say. Distnace casting is not needed in all situations, but comes in handy when 20 people are fishing 20' from shore, it's an added advantage to get out past the heard. I use both methods and just pointed out the major differences between spinning VS. baitcasting. You don't need a big pit, and I souldn't have metioned that, but even with a regular size baitrunner, you have to agree, when buying one reel, there is an advantage when going with a spinning reel. JMHO

Archived