Loomis Or St Croix?

bonnethead

Lookin at the Ebay ads you can get a NRX for $350 or a Legend extreme for the same...which ones better?

I've got 2 builders...1 is a st croix builder who uses SCV blanks for $160 and up and another who uses Loomis Gl2 (120 and up) and Gl3 (150 and up). whos better?

I think you're really comparing apples to apples here. Both are quality rods. I personally would go with St. Croix only because I have many of them but there will also be tons of guys who say Gloomis. When you start getting into that price range there really is no wrong move, so I would say to see if you can dig up any dirt on the builders themselves and decide on the more skilled labour.

Guest live2fish85

As said before great rods regardless as for which to go with the price for the Legend Extreme is nothing specail you can pay just over that in stores for the same rod an you are going to get the lifetime warranty. I don't know if you get the lifetime warranty if you get it from ebay, I would check into that as for the NRX that is a awesome deal. They go for 500+ in most tackle shops but again make sure of the warranty. I personally love St. Croix rods as you get a great rod and can pay less then what you would pay for G.Loomis. I own 6 St. Croix and have used G. Loomis and they are both excellent rods. You could save a few bucks and get a St. Croix and know you are still getting a great rod.

I'm yet to pick up a St.croix that I like in my hand , but that's just me go to the shops and feel them out use a friends St.croix and loomis see what suits you best ! I have a few loomis rods now and have a hard time using anything else , my favorite blanks are the classic Imx and glx , but I do own a couple Nrx rods and they are amazing . For me anyway. Good luck go try a few out before you commit

Guest live2fish85

As Bondat and LC both said G. Loomis is the best rod out there just a decent junk of coin to toss on a rod. The upside is you get a lifetime warranty with them and even better yet they are CANADIAN. So that is a plus. I just can't afford that much on a rod so I stick to St. Croix. They are from the USA which is alot better then from Japan or something.

Guest live2fish85

Cliff you would know this. I said in my other post that G. Loomis is Canadian made. I know they were bought out by Shimano but do they not make them here still.

Cliff you would know this. I said in my other post that G. Loomis is Canadian made. I know they were bought out by Shimano but do they not make them here still.

No.. they are not made here anymore..the canadian line (frontier) is long gone . all Loomis blanks are made in the USA..Lorne green started his next venture in the USA and it's called north fork

ya its too bad gloomis doesnt sell blanks to the public anymore either :(

The North Fork are better blanks than loomis for the buck IMO...a bit more $ but the quality is very good

And again Sage is another option

ive never experienced a north fork before nor have i ever heard of them lol but i checked out the website!..i checked out sage but wasnt fully satisfied in what i saw, great companies and rods just nothing really caught my attention..im looking at the gloomis 15' centerpin rod for the niagara, anyone ever used it before??shes a pricey girl but ill pay the money,aslong as the quality is there...ive used my loomis float rod ( STR 1262s) for over 12 years now with absolutly zero complaints whether im on the credit or niagara and im putting her in early retirement lol need something bigger!

Haven't fished with either but I picked up an NRX and a Legend Extreme the other day at FW and they both felt amazing. The loomis felt a bit more balanced tho and aesthetically speaking is the sleekest looking rod I have ever seen.

Guest live2fish85

Haven't fished with either but I picked up an NRX and a Legend Extreme the other day at FW and they both felt amazing. The loomis felt a bit more balanced tho and aesthetically speaking is the sleekest looking rod I have ever seen.

G.Loomis doesn't give as much of a hassle when returning a rod with the life time warranty as I have heard St. Croix is getting worst. Both nice rods though.

I have a couple 15' rainshadow blanks here if you want to see what those are like..best bang for the buck

ya cliff when i come by for those jigs which ive been slacking on, i wouldnt mind taking a look at those blanks..thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Cliff

Lorne Green is not in the US making ,selling ,or even thinking blanks.

he is still in Canada relaxing .

NFC is Gary Loomis

As for a quality blank"" WELL"

But I would be interested in the 15 ft Rainshadow

Cliff

Lorne Green is not in the US making ,selling ,or even thinking blanks.

he is still in Canada relaxing .

NFC is Gary Loomis

As for a quality blank"" WELL"

But I would be interested in the 15 ft Rainshadow

welcome to NFN John

I would have to agree with cliff regarding the batson line. the xst series are the cats arse! for a very reasonable price. Another company that is making their mark is the mudhole mhx blanks. Very cheap and a lifetime transferable warranty! People are comparing them to the imx line loomis used to have. I think it was their intention to create a blank to fill the void created when loomis dropped the line. Cliff you should look into these blanks. They would create great customs for the people who dont want to spend a ton of money.

RB

Archived