Down Riggers Vs Dipsy Diver

Slevin

Hey Guys

Ok laid money for a 18' boat, marina fees, equipment, and fishing poles and reels,I'm on a pension so money is a little tight unill summer.( late summer)

So do I buy riggers or has any one fish with these dipsy divers, Lake Erie is 60' deep

and I have a fish finder so for the 1 st year do I go with riggers or divers they say the divers also can have out 4 lines with 4 divers like a planner board direction only. Just need some in put. Dipsy divers $8.00 to $20.00 many colours for 1,riggers new for get it used still looking.Also VHF radio if any one has one .

Thanks

I would agree with Bones. When I had my boats in Lower Lake Huron I used Dipsy Divers, Yellow Bird Planers, DIY planning boards as well as downriggers. Anything to get down and away from theboat.

Radio is a must, depending on the size of your boat, check out the handheld VHF

dipsey divers are fine, What I would do is set up one wire rod 30 lb. wire with a line counter one braid with a line counter and on erie before everyone made things so complicated lol all I used is GIBBS SNAP ON WEIGHTS off the boards. and still do. lead core works great butI,m not a fan of walleye on lead core like bringing in a log. but you will get lots. the other trick with riggers was long lead put to the bottom and pop the rigger usually you get walleye on the way up.IF you ever want to go out on weekends shoot me a message. glad to help you out. jet divers work well too.

If you are just starting stick to the basics ( like the keep it simple rule ) the jets are fool proof and when you turn they will not sink to the bottom dipseys are the bomb but are a bit more tricky to get your desired depth 20 jet is pretty much 20 to 25 depending on Line out and 30 is the same and so on riggers work very well but with the cost if your going to leave salmon alone they are not nessasary

Archived