Pfd Suggestions....

canadianfcat

Well with the new (to me ) boat I've been looking for PFD's.I'd need at least 4 and something comfortable and not intrusive.

.I'm pretty sure the majority of us have always just stuck them under the seat but where's the saftey factor in that.

I'd need something for 2 kids and the wife.So who's got some suggestions?

I would not spend too much on your kids as they outgrow them too fast.My kids are on there third set in a few years & thay have loved the cheaper vests.Your wife & yourself may want a midgrade-upergrade vest since it is a 1 time purchase.I know Gander mountain has Overtons at about $17 each for kids that look pretty comffy as well as great priced adult vests too.I found a couple expensive type's at canadian tire last fall on for half price so look around a bit.I would wait for a sale as you have a few months to go.

Make sure you get proper PFD's not all are. I forget off hand what qualifies....but if not and your stopped you can be charged. Ski vests and such do not qualify as a PFD. You could also try Play it Again Sports I have found them in there before. When I had my boat, any and all Kids had to wear the jacket. and I always handed out a jacket to each adult to wear. IF they choose not to wear it then fine....at least you have it at your side or on your seat. You need to have access to the life jacket should you need it in a hurry. The adult ones that have the inflateable canister are good....you can wear it and its comfortable and should you need it, just pull a cord and it inflates. I took the Power Squadron coarse, advanced navigation, and the Marine radio coarse.......really well worth taking. I had alot of fun taking the coarses, and you can learn so much that never really crosses your mind. If you do have a marine Radio, and a GPS you can have it hooked together with the GPS in case of a mayday situation your location is sent with a push of the distress button on your radio. I have been lossed in the fog before on LAke O ....The next day....I bought a GPS

These things will last you a lifetime. I always go with the river jackets for whitewater and canoeing. Imagine, they're meant to be comfortable while your legs are 90 degrees to your torso with a back rest trying to dig in your back (in a kayak), so you know they're comfortable while standing and sitting on and off in a tin fishing boat.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/PFDs.jsp

I would suggest good quailty pfd's which can be bought a CTC or any good marina

Like the old TV commercial pointed out was the kids floating around looking for mom or dad so please be sure to wear yours also.

My son fell out of my boat when he was like two maybe three years old. The pfd had a handle on the neck part and I was able to simply lift him back in the boat all was good

the pfd had the croch strap also.

Archived