How well do you know Niagara?

Guest chilli

Guest bigfish1965

Lots of busted up concrete...an old pier or retaining wall some where. The big round rock is probably a product of current or glaciel movement.

Guest Gill Finigan
Name this drift???????

HINT: It's a longway from Queenston. :lol:

NiagaraBow.jpg

1255[/snapback]

By how low the bank is on shore i'll guess it's near the Navy dock in NOTL

Guest SkeinMachine

The answer is........................

We call it the Gas Line Drift(yellow sign on the shoreline).

It's about a mile downstream from Queenston.

Aaron Shirley know's that drift very well.

The large bolder is sitting along the shore at the Old Erie Beach Park area or known as "The Old Dance Hall" to many locals. About halfway between the Dance Hall remains (no longer standing) and the Erie Beach pier. The ruble in the photo is the old cement boardwalk and railing that has fallen down over the years. From what I remember, the bolder was placed there about fourty years back by very large ice deposits driven by high wind. No ice boom then, so the wind driven ice moved ashore with great destruction at times.

http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPark/ErieBech.html

Cheers!

Excellent Macboy. You posted the link I was going to attach to the answer too.

A post with updated pics will follow when I complete a simple web page this afternoon. I recommend the link above in Macboy's post to everyone as it is a good read. It is amazing how fast something that was so big can be turned into rubble so quickly.

Btw.......(Not for Tommy to read).... But I'm pretty sure that the pic in the orriginal post (the big rock) is placed at the Grand Opening :dunno: I mean the main entrance. :blush:

That was a good one Skein but I never had a chance unless you took it from shore. It all looks different from the other side of the waters edge. I almost guessed that you somehow got your boat into the twelve mile creek. Now that's a long way from Queenston! :dunno:

Archived