First Timer, Great Experience. Gear?

tmate

I got out today with the Trout Unlimited members for a little lesson on one of the guys private bass ponds. Such a great experience and soon enough I hope to own some of my own gear! Does anyone have any used gear or know where I can possibly buy a reasonably priced starter combo?

Thanks, TF

Colton fly company is having a 40% off sale. It isn't exactly cheap but the quality is awesome. Easily comparable to a rod twice the price. I would steer you away from buying anything too cheap unless you want to go through what I just went through. Having to replace a rod twice in a month sucks. Here is what I was sent as a replacement for my defective rod

sadferrule.jpg

I bought an 8WT Daiwa Heartland combo for $99 this year. Seems pretty solid. I also have a 5WT combo I purchased from bass pro, it's a white river. I dont care for it much. I would stick with the tried tested and true brands. Also, i've learned that supporting your local tackle shop is a must-do for all anglers. I enjoy walking through bass-pro, but you can gain a wealth of knowledge from a local shop.

Oh, and if I can offer another piece of advice, dont cheap out on the fly line. Cheap line can make for a frustrating learning process.

Thanks a lot guys, Dogman that sounds like a real pain in the ass!

I might head down to petes or out to grimsby tackle one day this week and see what they have in stock.

Archived