Pike On The Fly

The_Husky_Jerk

Guest live2fish85

I am new as well to fly fishing. I used a 25# flouro leader and held up fine to the pike. I am sure even thicker would be better for larger pike.

Some use wire leaders as well I read.

I was using wire but I found that the flies weren't turning over and the leader was hinging at the wire. I've changed over to using 7' furled leaders with a 2' mono tippet (loop to loop) and a short 6-10" bite leader of 20# Seaguar fluorocarbon (surgeons knot). So far it is holding up nicely but I'll probably go a little heavier on the bite tippet next time.

I'd go with a 7-8ft piece of floro 40lb and then a 2ft piece of "toothy critter" this is a must for fly fishing for gators. The 40lb floro helps turn big flies over. Hope this helps you.

Why so heavy a leader? Your rod will break before the leader will unless you use a class tippet in between the #40 and "toothy critter"?

• 3 months later...

I've been lucky on the last two flyrod pike I've caught. I was rigged for trout on the first with a 4 lb mono tippet. On the second I was casting for carp with a 6 lb flouro tippet.

Realistically, I'd say 20 lb flouro is fine, for pike but check it carefully after every hook-up.

Why so heavy a leader? Your rod will break before the leader will unless you use a class tippet in between the #40 and "toothy critter"?

I use the heavy leader to help turn over the heavier flies...never caught a pike big enough that i was worried it would break my rod. My muskie fishing buddies all us like 80lb floro throwing lures so it's not that crazy. Give it a try...it will turn over big weighted flies no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived