Freshwater Drum (Sheephead)

Bryan

Looking to catch one of these bad boys...

Pretty sure i know what time of year they are most active...

Just looking to find a good place & bait,

and want to hear peoples stories or advice they might want to share...

Can you catch these year round?

Do you need a boat or can you be successful from shore?

Shore is most fun, try port d, use shrimp or worm for live bait on a 3 way rig, or simply walk the wall with a crankbait or tube jigs, they are getting more aggressive this time of year, I may go to port d for some this week before the holiday (23rd)

Shore is most fun, try port d, use shrimp or worm for live bait on a 3 way rig, or simply walk the wall with a crankbait or tube jigs, they are getting more aggressive this time of year, I may go to port d for some this week before the holiday (23rd)

I didn't know that they liked shrimp.........Would you use a small piece, or the whole shrimp?????

I would start big and work your way down, I like to cut mine in half, the tail end seems to work best, I am thinking the tail creates some sorta action

If you are going to fish from Port D or anywhere on Lake Ontario or Erie, either from shore or boat make sure you have a hefty net. Some of these sheepies can be quite big and if you get one from a pier and no net.. good luck LOL :blink: Been there done that got the t-shirt!

I just caught this guy tonight trolling in Jordan Harbour. I was trying out my brand new Intex Seahawk II for the first time, not really after fish, but I thought I'd drop a line anyhow. Being an awful fisherman, I really didn't expect to catch anything.

I'd say he was about 18" (about the length of spoon of my paddle)...

For a little more than $100 my wife picked up the boat off the net. It'll take an electric trolling motor or gas up to 2hp, though i've seen youtube clips with much bigger engines. Beats shore fishing anyday!

Archived