My First Fly Rod Is On It's Way!

Seanook

I ordered a Fenwick 9ft Eagle Claw/Streamer combo from a buddy of mine who gets wholesale prices on fishing gear. I know very little about the actual rod/reel combo itself as I had to choose it from a list of thousands of product numbers and when I checked the # online. I only got some vague descriptions of which looked to be similar. I paid $48 for it and the retail value was over $100. Can anyone tell me a little more about this series of rod and is it a good buy. Also what would be the best line at an affordable cost?

Product # sf908/efr78cbo.

Can't wait to get my hands on it and sling some flies.

the edit option is on the fritz here. I do realize that the Caps is a little over used on my title heading for anyone who thinks I'm an idiot. It is a writing option I forgot to turn off and for some reason I cannot change it in edit......Gaahhhh. Nothing bothers me more than bad spelling and proper use of diction.

Guest live2fish85

What is the weight of the rod?

From all the research I have done and help from a very experienced fly fisherman, WFF (weight forward floating) line is the best line for beginners.

Match the line weight to the rod wt. As for line brand Rio is a great line from what I have read and heard. I am using greys and like it but also don't know the difference as I haven't tried other lines.

There are a ton of specific lines which have different tapers but until you know for sure you like it and know what you are doing, it is best to go with the WFF line.

Thanks guys.

I suppose when it arrives I will be able to find out a little more about it. I do believe it comes with a carrying case and some extras, so maybe there will be a booklet and some line or a fly or two. Can't wait. Just hoping the Wife doesn't get the delivery guy while I'm at work. I may never see it if that is the case!

Typin on an iPhone blows. Lol

Shoulda bought a Samsung Android then. Bigger and better for those of us with clumsy typing man-hands!

8wt is a good place to start. It gives you lots of options on what to fish for. I have a couple of very slightly used WF8F (8wt floating) lines that I can set you up with if you need. I don't use them anymore since I bought a 5 and 7 (and 9) weight rods. Careful it is a slippery slope.

@Dogaman. Yeah I think I might already have one leg down that slope already. I always found the art of fly fishing appealing. any help or tidbits of gear are greatly appreciated.

Archived