My First Carp On A Fly

dunder

I have been flirting with the idea of targetting carp on the fly for a couple of years. I recently bumped into an avid fly fisherman named Tom who targets both salt and fresh water species who took the time to explain, show and even nail a carp on the fly to see. I had talked with Tom about doing this a number of times in the past so I was glad I got the chance at a crash course on targetting carp on the fly from a very skilled and respected angler.

The day after seeing Tom I went out and purchased a 6-8 weight fly rod and reel combo. I gave it a shot the next day after without any luck. Last Saturday I brought it along again to target the carp and freshwater drum that cruise the pier wall at our spot

I'm glad I did as my second attempt resulted in catching my first 4 carp ever on the fly caught on a wooly buggar. Needless to say I was over the moon!! What a rush. Dunno if your reading this Tom but thanks again for the help.

5e6f104b.jpg

The split shot didnt seem to bother them

Awesome! What type of presentation do you use? I used to catch carp as a kid, with straight corn on a hook and let it sit at the bottom. I see the big weight in front of the wooly bugger, are you more or less dragging it along the bottom? or a few feet off?

Awesome! What type of presentation do you use? I used to catch carp as a kid, with straight corn on a hook and let it sit at the bottom. I see the big weight in front of the wooly bugger, are you more or less dragging it along the bottom? or a few feet off?

The water was deep and clear ( 25 ft). I used a 9 foot, 17 pound mono leader attached to the fly line with an Albright knot. Fluro would be better though. I would have used it without the split shot if I had the dumb bell weights instead. The split shot didn't seem to bother them though.

The fish were cruising about 3-4 feet deep. I would drop it about 4-5 feet in front of them and let it sink. The split shot let it sink at a good rate. The ones that took the fly turned their heads after noticing the fly and quickly inhaled it. You have to watch for the right moment to strike as they suck it in quite fast. It's very exciting to watch and play the fish.

Nice going Mark. 4 is really good for your second time out. Time for a 30 on the fly!

I bought myself some new fly gear already. Tryed it out today.Unfortunatly the water was stained and the wind blowing hard. Couldnt see anything. Yep, a 30 would be sweet.

Archived