Grand River

YakFisher

I'm thinking of heading up to the grand next week in search for some browns. Any one care to share some honey holes with me in a pm? Our just some advice on what they might be feeding on this time of year. Thanks in advance.

I don't know where exactly you are planning on going for brown trout in the Grand... the Grand literally flows in my backyard. Right now the Grand is super low and the water temp is probably pushing 75-80F maybe warmer especially in sections where it is really low.

Just last week I was wading in the Grand and I didn't get the usual shock of "cold" water like I normally do when ya first walk in.

:dunno:

Frig. I was talking with one of the guide services about doing a trip and they said we would find some trout. But they were way too expensive. Is the water colder at the head or the tail? Or maybe one of the tributaries? I'm just getting really bored of the waterways around me, and I'd like to find somewhere new.

I doubt very much you will find any kind of trout in the Grand right now.. the water is just too warm. I'm not familiar with the tributaries of the Grand way up north ie Dundalk. But I can tell you the Grand is like soup probably from Cambridge all the way down to Dunnville at the moment.

Yes rainbow trout do come up through Brantford but I have never seen or heard of Brown Trout being caught in the Grand . Don't wanna be a wet blanket but don't want to see you wasting your gas and time for something that isn't here. :Gonefishing:

YEs, there is browns in the Grand below Fergusand as mentioned not a place to kayak pretty much wading and fly fishing. To warm right now and would be difficult for sure.

Up by fergus you be fine most spots are catch and release no live bait but there a section or two that isn't. Check the fly shop website they got up to date conditions and so does the grand river conservation authourity. I fly fish often there

Fergus is where you start and trout fitters has closed its doors . Match the hatch fishing applies there single barbless hooks no live bait

Hopefully this forum has CO's that read this board on a regular basis and have enough brains to figure out that by certain spots being posted on an open forum will only attract the wrong types of people to them and forever change the ecosystem and balance of those specific spots...I all for helping out the next guy or kid to get them started but we gotta use our brains when disclosing certain areas that don't need the extreme fishing pressure that is sure to follow when mentioned on here..pm's are one of the best inventions when it comes to cyberspace...so can we use a little discretion please!?!

This is a fishing site used to share ideas, tips, tricks and yes sometimes spots to fish...... the Grand is NOT a secret fishery... it is a very popular fishing location.... meaning everyone knows about it...... so I dont see throngs of people slamming the grand because of one post here...

as people have been slamming it for years! I know.... I used to live on the Grand.

G

All I'm saying is to try to use a little discretion because we all know that certain ethnic groups love to set up house along the banks of these types of areas and take more than their fair share without any remorse for the harm they are actually doing

The Fergus area of the Grand River is well patrolled by CO's and a large amount of fly club members. Pull any stunts or keep any fish and I will assure you that you wont make it back to your car. On the other hand if you want to learn to fly fish and actualy land some decent fish its a great place. And Gerritt is right, its a well known and a very protected fishing area. Loogans show up there....be prepared to loose all your belongings and big fines. There is no excuses...there is signs posted all over the place.

Troufitters closed?

Troutfitters has not closed per say....yes, they closed the shop but they still have their website and do guiding. However, they have gone an e-commerce style of business where you can still order through the website. The owner just wanted out of having to do retail as his passion is guiding.

Saying the grand in Fergus is not known is like saying the Niagara is not known! they both receive a ton of fishing pressure. Again I will say it. ...This is a family fishing site where we share info

I have never ever said anything inregards to fergus being unknown or so overly fished that it would make a grown man cry at the thought of what law's are broken there on a daily basis but mentioning these types of spots to refresh the lookey loos and lurkers memories of such places every once in a blue moon is the ONLY reason they are becoming classic garbage dumping grounds and the fact that you run this forum as a "family oriented" site is awesome to a certain degree, Cliff. But when the garbage keeps piling up at specific areas after a certain spot is mentioned on here is doing more harm than what this site's intentions are truly for, so to me you're damned if you do and damned if you don't if you get what I'm trying to say with keeping this forum so open to anyone and not requiring a membership to view most of the content. I understand its an open and come one come all kind of forum and you want as many ppl to come to your site to make it popular but I will say this once and only once because I'm sure you already know this your site is partial responsible for certain areas being so over fished and overun with so much garbage it would make a billygoat puke...but its your site and I'm by no means trying to tell you how to run your site, this is my own opinion and have kept my comments in check with forum rules and should not be "warned" for voicing my opinion regarding my beliefs regarding the integrity of this forums owner/operators.

You can also pick up browns in the Grand between Paris and Brantford around the mouth of Whiteman's creek.

Depending on the water level there are some big rock around the mouth that leave a pretty decent riffle to drift.

I always did well there with hares ears, and march Browns in that area.

All I'm saying is to try to use a little discretion because we all know that certain ethnic groups love to set up house along the banks of these types of areas and take more than their fair share without any remorse for the harm they are actually doing

And what ethnic group is that?

G

The part of the Grand that has trout gets stocked pretty regular, but there is a pile of regs that need to be looked at closely. If you're not a flyfisher there might be spots closer to home that have better fishing.

And posting "the Grand below Fergus" is opaque enough, there's alot of water to fish there. Putting up a pic or posting of a specific stretch is probably a bad idea.

Remember the two internet heroes that started putting up Pebbly Beach pics, then got stymied when 50 guys showed up to fish their pool the next weekend? :D

If it wasn't for the good advice I get on this site, the rest of the bs would have driven me off long ago.

I'm not saying I'm innocent of it either. Its just frustrating the sh.it that goes on here. I thought the purpose of this site was to share information. Ideas on tackle, tactics and places to fish. With the way technology is now, its not hard to find good spots, so when people get all bent up about someone sharing a spot its all in vain. If pressure increases in one area, that means it has reduced in another.

Fisheries that are fished is good for the economy, promotes ecology (when proper systems are in place) and gives lots of enjoyment.

What I'm trying to say is. If you don't want to share your "spot" for whatever reason, THEN DON'T SHARE IT! Leave the rest of us alone for posting public information on an open and free forum.

What I'm trying to say is. If you don't want to share your "spot" for whatever reason, THEN DON'T SHARE IT! Leave the rest of us alone for posting public information on an open and free forum.

Well that's all well & good...until somebody else decides to "share" your spot with the world for you.

I used to fish steelhead in the Wilmot until Hank & Italo decided to film half a season there.

I used to fish steelhead on the Grand below Caledonia before some internet heroes started posting Youtube videos, now that stretch gets pounded when nobody else used to drift it.

In another month the piers will be infested by loogans the night after the first salmon report gets posted.

My favourite backcountry lake system used to be completely empty ten years ago, then it got written up in a guidebook and this years bass opener had a dozen groups on it, so much so there wasn't an empty campsite in 20km of lake.

Internet fishermen are never good company.

General observations=Good Specific stretches=Bad

Some of us have been around messageboards since they first started and seen the damage they can do, and that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you find a good area then see somebody running around screaming about it kinda sucks.

Sounds kinda selfish to want to keep something that isn't yours all to yourself. What gives you the right to say that other people can't enjoy that piece of this beautiful world we have to share?

If no one knew about the grand or Niagara rivers, or the twelve or twenty mile creeks; or any body of water that holds fish for that matter. What would happen to the tackle shops, the guide services, hell, even this site would lose membership if no one knew about good fisheries. People would lose their livelihoods.

Personally, I like to see other anglers around me. People that enjoy this sport as much as I do.

There are very few people out there that abuse local waterways. Yes, there is some litter, and some people fish out of season, etc. But the vast majority are responsible anglers who want to see fisheries get stronger.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting. Hopefully I made my point, its late and my air conditioner broke, so I'm suffering from heat stroks and mighty not be making much sense. Lol

Archived