15 Hp Vs. 20 Hp Yamaha?

ninepointer

I'm considering a Yamaha 4-stroke to go on my plain 16 foot aluminum. Help me decide between 15 hp & 20 hp. Is there a significant difference in top-end speed/power? Will either of these 2 motors let me troll at 2 mph?

Guest live2fish85

There won't be a huge difference in speed, that being said having the extra is nice. As for trolling you should be able to troll at the speed you want and if not throw a pail over the side or get a drift sock.

The pitch of the prop will have alot to do with your trolling speed at idle. Personally I would go for the 20hp, I know having the extra power is nice. top end is effected more by the prop as well. I would imagine the rpm at wide open throttle would be very similar on both motors.

If you are not fishing way out in the middle of the big lakes a 15 would be good,you will get about 2mph faster with the 20(same prop on both motors).

If you are not fishing way out in the middle of the big lakes a 15 would be good,you will get about 2mph faster with the 20(same prop on both motors).

Shield lakes only for this boat. I have been leaning towards the 15hp because I want the trolling speed more than I want the zip, not to mention that the smaller motor is less expensive. Thanks.

Both will allow 2MPH trolling speed all day lont. However, a 20HP on a 16 ft boat will be perfect. It will troll where you want it and have the extra spunk when you need it. We have a 40 HP 4 stroke on our 16 ft Legend and can troll at 1.5-2mph all day long with no issues, and can get to where we want to much faster. The extra cost for the 20HP will pay for itself all day long, HP to wiehgt ratio. I suggest the 20HP all the way!

I have a 25hp Yamaha 2-stroke on my 14ft boat and love it. I have no problem trolling. You will appreciate the extra hp if you have extra weight. I use mine to bring gear into my hunt camp and need all the horsepower to push the boat when it is loaded up.

Archived