First Smallie, I'm Hooked

YakFisher

No pun intended. Lol

Caught my first small mouth today under the train bridge on the upper river with a plastic.

Man, those fish are scrappers! It was a good sized fish, maybe 4 pounds, but felt double that. What a fight. Even when I picked it up, the body felt like all muscle. Much better than large mouth imo. And I have caught hundreds of largies and love it, but I now get why people are die hard small mouth anglers.

Pound for pound nothing fights like a smallmouth! They just don't give up. Nice way to start off too with a 4 pounder! Any pics?

Dark blue lizard thingy from lunker hunt. Texas rigged with a 1/2oz worm head weight. I'd cast upstream, and then bounce it back to me when it drifted down.

And I had my camera, but I usually don't take pictures, I always either forget,or don't want to keep the fish out of the water too long.

Dark blue lizard thingy from lunker hunt. Texas rigged with a 1/2oz worm head weight. I'd cast upstream, and then bounce it back to me when it drifted down.

And I had my camera, but I usually don't take pictures, I always either forget,or don't want to keep the fish out of the water too long.

Thanks''''''''

Awesome I have just recently started fishing for bass specifiaclly usually I target pike and eyes up north. But with my fly set up nothing is better then a bass whacking a popper the same size of it and just bursting out of the water into the air its great! Glad your hooked!

Yak fisher we should get together for some erie bass one sunday. It's way more fun in a kayak then a boat and taking pictures doesn't seem important after a fight like that. You just want to get them back in one piece. I try to photograph the keepers only but sometimes the camera is ready anyways. Wait until you try trout in the upper this fall!

Archived