Smallies On Erie

snoryder

I fished Erie for my first time in my kayak. I fished close to shore in about 7-9th of water. I seen lots of fish swimming and hooked many as well. Are these post spawn fish? If there done, will they move out into the deeper water or will these fish travel to and from? Or are these spots only good for the early season and typically no good till the fall or next year?

Thanks

Guest live2fish85

Lake Erie is full of bass. There will always be some in shallow from spring to fall. That being said the big ones will be out deep and alot will will move deeper. The onea that aren't out to far though generally will be around in the evening and morning.

Guest live2fish85

It is always worth fishing. I personally don't fish that area ever as my parents live west of there so I just fish there.

As Jessek said, fishing around the rocks are good look for big bolders in the water and cast around them. Also don't over look a sandy bay full of weeds. My parents bay is all sand and lots of weeds. Last night I was catching tons of bass on the fly. The two bays surrounding my parents are all rock and didn't produce nearly as many fish as the sandy bay did.

Grab yourself a silver mepps long aglia #2 and you will catch them none stop. I will put money on that.

Thanks guys, fishing this big body of water is just so different to me than fishing the rivers or the kawartha lakes area, where you can look for structure or find fishing looking spots. Gonna give it a shot this weekend, thanks again.

I would suggest Point Abino for Largies and smallies (maybe the odd pike too) You can fish on the outside of the marinas. There is a few large weed beds and lots of structure around the piers. The bay from the marina towards the lighthouse is pretty well protected depending on which the wind is blowing. You may get some early morning or evening smallies there.

For smallies in shallow, I would go with double willow blade spinnerbaits, lighter in colour. Light coloured X-Raps or other good jerk baits. For Soft plastics, I would wacky rig a Senko (will work for largies around the docks too)...try a smoke colour to resemble a dying minnow...cast and let it sink right to the bottom and wait...for, like ever! It works best if you aren't moving at all. If you have a breeze and are drifting, try shallow dropshotting or tubes (1/4 to 1/2oz jig heads)...they will almost always produce. Again, smoke colour, goby colours...and an assortment of other natural colours will work.

Good luck and tight lines.

Thanks Big Dog, that area and crystal beach is on my hit list this summer. Thanks for the info. I've been hitting them on wacky rigs close to shore, and just loving out how they smack it. They were really aggressive. Haven't been back in two weeks, so I'm hoping my spot is still holding fish. To me it doesn't seem like they stay there, but I'll find out this weekend. I only say that, cause its a shallow reef area I fish with decent transitions of sand and rock but I think the whole shoreline might be like that. LOL

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone catch largemouth out in the lake

There are a few deep weed beds that hold them, but they stick mostly shallow. Erie isn't a Largie mecca, but there are a few pigs out there. The Upper river would be better to focus on for Largies.

Archived