Are there any Speckles in Niagara region?

Guest Steelheader

Guest Steelheader

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding any speckled trout populations in the smaller creeks in the Niagara region. I've tried a few places like the creek below Decew Falls, Balls Falls, etc, but I think water levels drop too much in summer and temperature gets too high to really sustain any native populations. But I figure there HAS to be some brookies around here somewhere. Has anyone ever found any? Again, I'm strictly catch & release, but they are really beautiful and a blast to catch!

Guest GrimsbyAl

Steelheader, I think it will be hard to find anyone who willing to share a brookie spot if they have one. I only know of one, and last i heard the creek was filled in so houses could be put up.

I know of a couple but like the others, I won't share that info due to it not being legal to fish there and they are a delicate and getting rare species so a sh*t load of fishermen wouldn't help their cause.

Guest Steelheader

Thanks guys.

I can appreciate people not wanting to advertise brookie spots. I just wanted to know if I was wasting my time looking for them. Exploring is half the fun :dunno:

Anyone ever caught anything below Decew Falls? I went down this summer...it's pretty rough terrain, difficult to navigate, but gorgeous. All I caught were chub though. Anyone ever caught any native trout there?

In theory, yes there should be..... all kinds of areas around, most as chilli said, are illegal to fish... but some do run into that little "creek" there.... my in laws owned a farm up in Fenwick that emptied into the 12 mile creek, it had a spring fed pond with a running stream stocked with trout and the neighbours had a rainbow trout pond that when flooded emptied into their pond and everything would go down stream....

Best bet is to "explore" around the Fenwick/Fonthill/Effingham area... but again, 99% of the streams run through private property and the other streams are in "protected" areas :dunno:

Spanky is right. Find spring water and you'll find the trout. A short or telescoping rod and ultra light action is recomended. Heavy bush and very small fish. Most of these spots never completely freeze due to being spring fed. This kind of fishing is not for everyone thank God and treking through the bush is where most of the fun is. Seeing the wildlife such as deer, snakes, foxes etc makes it all worth the rasberry scratches and spider webs in the face not to mention the stinging nettle.Warning though. There are plenty of horse trails around so watch you don't spook them coming out of the cover.

bah

after beating the bush for an hour one day coming up scratched left right and center and being paranoid i did the poison ivy thing since there were some plants i was unsure of that I trecked through ... the trout can stay ... no intentions of getting the brookies.

definately not worth the hassle ...

however I did find a nice relaxing spot for some sunfishing.

Guest leadhead
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding any speckled trout populations in the smaller creeks in the Niagara region. I've tried a few places like the creek below Decew Falls, Balls Falls, etc, but I think water levels drop too much in summer and temperature gets too high to really sustain any native populations. But I figure there HAS to be some brookies around here somewhere. Has anyone ever found any? Again, I'm strictly catch & release, but they are really beautiful and a blast to catch!

1278[/snapback]

Guest Steelheader
bah

after beating the bush for an hour one day coming up scratched left right and center and being paranoid i did the poison ivy thing since there were some plants i was unsure of that I trecked through ... the trout can stay ... no intentions of getting the brookies.

definately not worth the hassle ...

however I did find a nice relaxing spot for some sunfishing.

1330[/snapback]

Haha ;)

I guess you gotta like being a wild bushman to go after those suckers. I took my buddy brookie hunting this summer and we waded through some nasty briars. The bush was so thick we lost each other for an hour and a half. I had images of him laying face down in a pool somewhere, and having to explain to his wife how I lost him. :P He hasn't gone fishing with me since...hmm... :dunno:

Chili and Spanky -

When you guys talk about "spring water" are you talking about streams that only really exist during spring run-off, or ones that have flow right through the year but are best fished during spring run-off? Not quite sure what you meant there.

By the way, if anyone wants to go brookie hunting sometime, let me know.

They're spring fed ponds/streams.... generally that means there's a "spout", if you will, from the ground... kinda like a garden hose being in a pond/stream 24/7.... the springs are cold aswell and as far as i know, it's pure water so it's safe to drink aswell (not that i'd advise that lol).... it's self sustaining all year around ;)

In the mid fall and early spring i find it easiest to "locate" these streams as the bush is really thin, so walking through them isn't that bad.... but again, be very careful and check you regulation book as there are MANY spots in and around the area that are conservation parks and are OFF LIMITS!! AGain tho, think outside St. Kitts and into the "country" area, everyone knows fenwick/fonthill/effingham are the spots to be for brookies, just gotta find the spot where you're not gonna get in trouble.... *hint- make friends with the farmers up that way and you shall be rewarded* :lol:

The one IBC knows about is okay on the one side of the bridge, but on the other it's short hills and is a no-no as far as i know :P

Archived